PDA

View Full Version : Calcium high

bighead
03/31/2013, 06:31 AM
I was using crystal se salt when I first started my tank about 3 months a go and I was using 1tsp of calk per gal in my ATO and all my readings were always pretty close to
ALK 10.5
cal 420
mag 1000

I have changed to Oceanic saly and so far I have done 2 water changes 20 gal each time I hav a 90 gal tank with a 40 gal sump I assume around 110 gal total

livestock 2 clowns
4 cardinals
1 foxface
serpentine star
emerald crab

2 mushrooms
1 frogspawn
1 peice of green chalice

I use 1/2 tsp of kalk per gal of water and after two water changes my readins are
alk 10
cal 490
mag 1250
my ph stays around 8.2 even with the old salt

should I just stop using the calk since Ocanic salt is high in cal or what do you recommend

HAOOY EASTER TO ALL AND OR PASSOVER

Daimyo68
03/31/2013, 07:12 AM
You can stop using the Kalk and see where your numbers go in a few days. If they stay within acceptable ranges, then there is no need to keep using the Kalk. If the numbers falls below acceptable, then start off with 1/2 tsp per gallon, and adjust as needed until your happy with the numbers.

As time goes by, and your corals grow, and you add new corals to the system, the numbers may begin to decline, and if so, you could start with the Kalk again to maintain stable numbers.

bertoni
03/31/2013, 03:58 PM
I agree that stopping the Kalk for a while should be fine. 490 ppm should be safe. You will need to watch the alkalinity closely, and likely dose some baking soda, but every tank is different in that regard.