PDA

View Full Version : Apex jr without display

nurjrk
03/31/2013, 12:56 PM
Looking to buy an Apex jr without display. I can only find the one with the display. Do they still have the one without? If so, where can I find one?
Thanks
Jeff

nurjrk
03/31/2013, 04:36 PM

James77
03/31/2013, 06:14 PM
It looks like they n longer offer that....it is not even offered on Neptunes own website. That stinks, it is nice to have the option of no display. I'd contact them directly to see if they could..

nurjrk
03/31/2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks James. I plan on calling them tomorrow.
Jeff

cordell
03/31/2013, 06:45 PM
I was told by Premium Aquatics that they no longer offer the Jr without the display. They didn't have a reason why at the time, but that it was Neptune, and not PA or any other vendor causing this.

IMHO, I believe Neptune is changing direction, at least slightly, in the way they sell the Apex. Force people to buy the display, whether they will use it or not, and see what happens to sales. (All speculation, of course..)

I went ahead and bought a model with the display recently, and I find that since I have the display, I use it quite often. I don't always have my phone on me when I go into the fish room to feed the fish or do water changes (feed mode). And it's nice to get a quick glance at the temp and pH while peeping at the fish tank. Sorry, this adds nothing to your question, but is something to consider.

nurjrk
03/31/2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks Cordell, good food for thought
Jeff

jagr201
03/31/2013, 11:20 PM
I contacted Neptune directly last week. They WILL NOT sell it to you without the display. They will however accept an order for one without the display from an LFS. So I had my LFS order me an Apex JR without the display. Price was $149.99

wcharon
04/01/2013, 05:04 AM
I am interested to get the APEX Full and contacted Neptune and they didn't give me that alternative without the display. Guess if i can find in PR a LFS to get it...

NTP66
04/01/2013, 08:03 AM
Neptune told me last year (around Thanksgiving) that they had discontinued the SKU for the Apex Jr. without a display, and were dropping the price on the unit that did come with a display (which they did, about $25). I originally wanted one without the display, intending on using my iPhone or PC for everything, but I have to admit - I'm glad that I got the display. It's so much more convenient to use for stuff like feed mode, etc., especially if you're in a rush.

jerpa
04/01/2013, 08:14 AM
I think it is a mistake. Even with dropping the price to $225. This puts the JR up against the full featured Reef Angel. The Jr without the display was the cheapest internet enabled controller out there. Many people bought it because timers and a Ranco temperature controller cost almost as much. Increasing the entry level price by 50% will just push controllers back to being more of a luxury.

kurt_n
04/01/2013, 10:47 PM
One thing that I think they overlooked in selling it without a display is that any of the audible alarms and alerts became useless because the sounds came out of the display. No display = no audible alarms. Maybe that's why they decided to make the display part of the package - so they could truthfully advertise audible alarms. Just thinking out loud...

James77
04/02/2013, 08:16 AM
My audible alarm is a text to my phone or email :)

I agree that it is a mistake to make it at least not an option. I can only assume they did it because people were assuming it came with? I have 2 of them and have never missed the displays. The only PITA time is when I calibrate a pH probe, I have to use my computer. Everything else is done on my phone.

kurt_n
04/02/2013, 08:42 AM
Could also be an different way of raising the price to temporarily slow down demand. A bunch of new users of a low priced controller can perhaps mess with your ability to provide customer service if you weren't prepared for the onslaught of new users that bought it thinking the thing works like a Nest thermostat - hook it up and walk away!

nurjrk
04/02/2013, 04:42 PM
Ok, So if I bought the new Apex jr with display... and sold the display, I could still set-up the jr via my computer / ipad, correct?
Jeff

kurt_n
04/02/2013, 09:55 PM
Correct.

The only thing my display gets used for is to start a feed cycle, calibrate my pH probe, audible alarms (never has happened though!), and for well... a display! You can do all those things (except the audible alarm) with a computer or smart phone.

nurjrk
04/03/2013, 05:19 AM
Thanks Kurt.