PDA

View Full Version : slug, nudibranch, snail... not quite sure.

Anthonius
03/31/2013, 01:24 PM
Ok so I dont have a picture of this guy because hes so tiny I cant make him out on camera. Hes about as fat as a toothpick and only 1-2mm in length. He moves slowly across the glass/rock like a starfish would. On its back is 6 black dots just like a 6 dot domino. I havent ever seen one before would anyone have an idea of what it is by its description? I have seen no harm done to any of my zoas so I am unsure if its a pest or a benefit from my live rock.

Sk8r
03/31/2013, 02:20 PM
If he has real long antennae for his size, he's likely a stomatella and harmless (look up on google). If he's caterpillarlike, more likely a sea slug or nudi and in a zoa tank, not usually good.

Anthonius
03/31/2013, 03:31 PM
well they have no antennae. they are ovular in shape. they look like flesh colored rolley-poleys but a bit flatter and have that distinct 6 dot domino pattern dead center. They dont have a preference to light or dark. They roam the glass and looks like they eat algae, as behind them is a trail of clean glass. I guess I could add a small zoa frag from another tank and see if any harm comes to them. I have some really generic greens I need to cut up anyway. Never seen anything like it though.

Anemone
03/31/2013, 05:11 PM
Check for pictures of Chitons. Chitons have 8 segments, but sometimes the way they overlap they can have a "dot-like" appearance at the top of the leathery near-shell.

Kevin

Michigan Mike
03/31/2013, 06:02 PM
If they have what looks almost like pincers coming out the rear its also good but as thin as you make them out to be I'm not sure what they are.
Rollie-polie sounds like a chiton, mine only come out at night and one are pretty shades of purple, 1 1/2" long x 1/2" wide.

Anthonius
04/01/2013, 03:55 AM
Totally a chiton... I'm google imaging now I just need to find the kind I have. Are they all safe or some dangerous?

Edit: Found him! http://www.bily.com/pnwsc/web-content/Family%20Pages/Chitons%20-%20Leptochitonidae.html this site had a nice little reference for them all. some of them get huge! the kind i have are a small type.

dirkomatic
04/01/2013, 06:59 AM
Chitons are great cleaners. I got a fuzzy chiton from reefcleaners. They are neat creatures, but not very exciting...

Anthonius
04/02/2013, 04:12 PM
I just wanted to be sure it wasnt going to be a problem down the road when I decide to add some coral to this 40b.