PDA

View Full Version : Apex controller question.

hogfanreefer
03/31/2013, 03:37 PM
I've been trying to read up on controllers and it's not clear to me from the info on the websites that sell these. Does the unit have to be hardwired to internet access to be controlled from your computer? If so are there any truly wireless units out there?

How useful would it be to me if hardwire connection was impossible?

Fishmommy
03/31/2013, 03:41 PM
I am running one of mine with no ethernet access but also no computer - I am doing everything from the Apex display pod. In the literature it says there is a way to directly connect to a computer, but that it is complicated. I didnt see any instructions on how to do it though and did not try it myself.

Sent from my gadget using Trippytalk HD

JustinGr
03/31/2013, 03:44 PM
The Apex has to be wired to the router or you can use a wireless gaming adapter.

Not sure of the others.

hogfanreefer
03/31/2013, 04:14 PM
Wow! My $180 printer is wireless (and works flawlessly). Why would they make a unit that wasn't wireless in this day and age?

Still very useful but I was hoping to be able to monitor from the web. Will any gaming adapter work?

usmc121581
03/31/2013, 04:27 PM
I jus hooked my DA reefkeeper elite to th NET. Now I can control it away, home or head unit. Before I purchased the NET module it had a USB connection to connect to a PC with out the net. Yes you need to get a wifi adapter to turn it wireless. Cost abou $30, I just hard wired mine.

bnumair
03/31/2013, 05:44 PM
u can run apex on wireless adaptor ot hard wire it to ur router. the only problem u will run into with wireless adaptor is upgrades.
for firmware updates u have to have it hard wire directly to router.

Ibuild2586
03/31/2013, 07:48 PM
I have mine hooked up to the Internet with a data over power adaptor $45. Plug one into the outlet by your router and the other into the outlet by your tank. Hard wired no extra cabling.

hogfanreefer
03/31/2013, 09:03 PM
I have mine hooked up to the Internet with a data over power adaptor $45. Plug one into the outlet by your router and the other into the outlet by your tank. Hard wired no extra cabling.

Thanks Ibuild! Where do you purchase said data over power adaptor?