PDA

View Full Version : flow rate for uv sterilizer

petere1989
03/31/2013, 03:40 PM
what would you recommend for flow rate for killing off parasites and algae?

Darth Polymnus
03/31/2013, 05:30 PM
Whats your flow rate for your UV sterilizer? Mine is rated for 1200gph, but my return pump is 800gph, so I'm good no matter what.

petere1989
03/31/2013, 05:50 PM
mine is still on the ups truck. i didn't order a pump because I was not sure now much flow rate is good enough. I know if you have to much their basically worthless.

guezei
03/31/2013, 07:47 PM
There worthless to begin with. You would be better off using an ozone system.

keithhays
03/31/2013, 08:11 PM
These will be helpful:

Dosage for each organism:
http://www.emperoraquatics-aquarium.com/microorganismdosages.php

Somewhere in here I am pretty certain I go through the calculation for how to get the dosage above based on flow, wattage, life cycle, tank size, etc:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2013892

If you have a really small tank and a good uv sterilizer (emperor aquatics) you might get a modicom of help for water borne algae. While parasites can be killed by a strong enough wattage and long enough dosage and the right rate, I have yet to entice all of them to join claws and swim in for the experience. :)

petere1989
03/31/2013, 08:21 PM
brs says this:

for the 25 watt emperor aquatics uv- flow rate algae and bacteria:

suggested: 332
maximum: 554

I have a 350 gph pump i'm not using. theoretically that should work correct? just double checking!!

Palting
03/31/2013, 10:02 PM
brs says this:

for the 25 watt emperor aquatics uv- flow rate algae and bacteria:

suggested: 332
maximum: 554

I have a 350 gph pump i'm not using. theoretically that should work correct? just double checking!!

Yes, that should work IF you have the 25 watt emperor aquatics UV sterilizer.

petere1989
03/31/2013, 11:20 PM
Yes, that should work IF you have the 25 watt emperor aquatics UV sterilizer.

yup. thats the one I ordered. I should have maybe gone with the next level up since the 25 watt is rated for max. 90 gallons and thats the size of my tank but it seemed like a hefty investment for potentially not much difference. I'd rather spend more money on a better QT or something.

-Thanks for the help!

also if anyone has experience with these please tell me about them.

billdogg
04/01/2013, 08:04 AM
There worthless to begin with. You would be better off using an ozone system.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but FWIW, mine has been in a box someplace in my fishroom for the last 12 years or so. A good rule of thumb is slower is better. If I were to use one again, I would go with about 1/2 the minimum suggested flow rate just for good measure.

A good QT will go miles farther in helping to prevent most of what a UV can help with, the exception being algae in the water column.