PDA

View Full Version : Aeration methods when using Chemiclean

MarlinHooker
03/31/2013, 06:23 PM
The directions say that oxygen levels must be increased when using this product ... for those that have used this, what methods did you use to increase the oxygen levels in the tank during treatment? Thx

drew2007
03/31/2013, 07:30 PM
Creating more surface agitation will increase oxygen levels. Aim a power head up toward the surface of the water to increase gas exchange. It will also increase your evaporation rate so you may need to top off fresh water more frequently.

MarlinHooker
04/01/2013, 06:10 AM
That's what I thought, the directions talk about adding an air stone which I don't think really works. I already have 2 of my 4 return nozzels on the surface so I guess I could position the other 2 on the surface as well, thx

fishysteve
04/02/2013, 04:50 AM
I just took the skimmer cup off and let it flow back into the sump. Worked fine.

Ron Reefman
04/02/2013, 06:30 AM
That's what I thought, the directions talk about adding an air stone which I don't think really works. I already have 2 of my 4 return nozzels on the surface so I guess I could position the other 2 on the surface as well, thx

Airstones aren't as effective as surface water movement for oxygenating the water, but what makes you think airstone bubblers don't work? :hammer:

Have you ever seen the live well on a fishing boat? I catch shrimp at a beach to feed my tank. If I don't use an airstone, the shrimp are all dead in 2 hours. If I use an airstone and a battery operated bubbler, the shrimp last 8 hours and longer!

HumbleFish
04/02/2013, 08:49 AM
i just took the skimmer cup off and let it flow back into the sump. Worked fine.

+1

MarlinHooker
04/02/2013, 09:34 AM
I like the idea of using the PS without collection cup. I have a RO Extreme 300 so that should work plus the 4 return nozzles on the surface, thx

cugly
04/02/2013, 01:32 PM
The flow from the return pump or powerheads is enough..I shut off what it says on the instructions and follow it accordingly that stuff works well..just watch the skimmer once u turn it back on because it will gocrazy and fill up fast..

nikon187
04/02/2013, 02:11 PM
Doesnt it say right on the box to not rely on surface agaitation with powerheads. i thought it did. Either way i just remove my plug on my collection cup as well and throw in an airstone, have vortechs as well.

MarlinHooker
04/02/2013, 03:55 PM
I have 2 MP40s + the gold snapper as the return pump, that + the PS I would think should be enough, as soon as I have the 40 gals ready for the water change i'll get started ...