PDA

View Full Version : Pump Choice for PM Bullet XL1

rlpardue
03/31/2013, 07:47 PM
Hi all,

I recently acquired a Precision Marine Bullet XL 1 for a good deal, but now I need to find a pump to run it. The instructions say to use a GenX PCX40 or a Iwaki MD55RLT. Would anyone know if there is a less expensive pump I could use, perhaps a submersible one like a large Mag or Sicce?

Thanks

sirreal63
03/31/2013, 07:59 PM
Needs to be a pressure rated pump, go with what they suggest. Neither Mag nor Sicce makes a submersible pressure rated pump.

biecacka
03/31/2013, 08:12 PM
Jack, I have heard of ppl using a dart or other high flow pump(non pressure rated)on a beckett. Any thought on that? I've tinkered with the idea as well but no real idea on pros or cons.
corey

sirreal63
03/31/2013, 08:16 PM
The skimmer relies on the pressure to keep the flow up to draw in the air, yes you can use a lesser pump but it will effect the skimmer performance. Less air will equate to less performance.

sirreal63
03/31/2013, 08:18 PM
To clarify Corey, if you can get the flow where it needs to be it will still work as it should, but I would still use the suggested pump.

biecacka
03/31/2013, 08:46 PM
My thoughts. Was just curious. The barracuda is about 4600 gph. Way too much for a pump.
I'm probably going to try one of those reeflo blueline pumps if I can find one
Thanks buddy
Corey

rlpardue
03/31/2013, 09:17 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the responses. I should provide a little more info - the skimmer is rated at 500 gallons and my tank is 150g. I will have perhaps a max of 100 extra gallons of remote refugiums and grow-out tanks. If I'm using the skimmer for half of its capacity, would a cheaper pump do the job?

sirreal63
03/31/2013, 09:34 PM
It is very hard to say if it will or not. Personally I would not run that skimmer on a small water volume, it is capable of processing a lot of water and I would expect it to be dormant for periods of time until there is enough to skim out. Your bio-load will come into play so it makes it very hard to determine how effective it will be. I would start by getting in touch with Precision Marine and get some guidance from them. The injector wants a powerful pump.

rlpardue
04/01/2013, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I realize that the skimmer would not operate efficiently and only really SKIM for a couple days a week, while it would be dormant most of the week. Oddly enough, this is fine for me, since I pay flat rate electricity. (Odd incentives come into play here). I like the skimmer because it was a great deal, and it's a piece of equipment that I can grow into.

I emailed PM; we'll see how they respond. I appreciate the help guys!