PDA

View Full Version : phytoplankton/zooplankton

good_reefer
03/31/2013, 10:06 PM
I want to make phytoplankton to feed my corals ....
but howbout zooplankton ... whats the difference .. do I need both???
also .. if I feed my corals phyto... do they still need Mysis, brine and shrimp???

kinda new arena for me .. al the help is appreciated

thanks
Jay

irishindoexpat
03/31/2013, 10:25 PM
Seachem does a good phyto and zoo combo that i have been using for a while now with fair results...i don't feed my corals with mysis i use H&S Coral Food Deluxe... i get some serious action from my corals feeding them this.

TimeConsumer
04/01/2013, 12:45 AM
What corals are you feeding and why do you think they need phyto? I cultivated phyto for a while and dosed it to my tank daily, it didn't seem to make a difference. I don't do it anymore. But there are lots of guides if you just google around.

good_reefer
04/01/2013, 05:40 AM
What corals are you feeding and why do you think they need phyto? I cultivated phyto for a while and dosed it to my tank daily, it didn't seem to make a difference. I don't do it anymore. But there are lots of guides if you just google around.

mostly softies...
finger leather
toadstool
Zoas
Sun Coral

I done know if I need it ... kinda new here

uny2bld
04/01/2013, 06:53 AM
mostly softies...
finger leather
toadstool
Zoas
Sun Coral

I done know if I need it ... kinda new here

In their normal habitat, they have access to plankton so I always feed it in my tanks but there are others who don't and they seem to be ok. When I ask most of the people that have spectacular tanks what they are doing, feeding plankton is on "the list" so I would lean towards that direction but in this hobby, it's really finding what works for you.

I'd say culture some if you can bc it definitely can't hurt your tank :dance:

LobsterOfJustice
04/01/2013, 02:54 PM
IMO most things in our tanks do not benefit much from phyto. Most corals dont eat it, they eat bacterioplankton or tiny zooplankton. Naturally there is not a lot of phytoplankton on reefs.

I wouldn't worry about it when you are just starting out. Corals like clean water more than they like food, and until you get a feel for feeding, filtration, your tank, nutrient levels etc you run the risk of compromising water quality.

TimeConsumer
04/01/2013, 07:01 PM
IMO most things in our tanks do not benefit much from phyto. Most corals dont eat it, they eat bacterioplankton or tiny zooplankton. Naturally there is not a lot of phytoplankton on reefs.

I wouldn't worry about it when you are just starting out. Corals like clean water more than they like food, and until you get a feel for feeding, filtration, your tank, nutrient levels etc you run the risk of compromising water quality.

+1. Phyto is important for certain inverts like feather dusters, but you should be fine without.

good_reefer
04/01/2013, 07:48 PM
+1. Phyto is important for certain inverts like feather dusters, but you should be fine without.

thanks everyone for all the feed back ....
I think ill leave the phyto alone for a while ....

:lolspin: