PDA

View Full Version : Just re-siliconed tank

li_newb
04/01/2013, 10:41 PM
So I redid my tank today and being that it was my first time i pressed a little too hard while running my finger and have build up along the outer edges of the seams. I know that old silicone does not adhere well to old but I was thinking of trimming the globs off in a day or so and then taping the edges and laying a nicer bead over.
Is this possible to do?

I was going to tape it off but didn't think it would turn out as bad as it did in some places

But another alternative I was thinking about is to just cut straight down with a razor blade and getting a cleaner line that way. would this ruin the integrity of the water tight seal?

I used scs1200 black on my 46 bowfront and had some thinner areas as well but only near the top so there would be less pressure up there but still wondering.
Are there any options of cleaning up my work ?

Thanks

peppie
04/01/2013, 10:55 PM
Did you remove the old inner seal before you added the new interior bead?

li_newb
04/02/2013, 09:06 AM
I removed the inner fillet. not the butt joint. cleaned meticulously with razor blades, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol and re applied a new inner seam with the scs 1200. just didn't think i needed tape but its looks pretty bad.

peppie
04/02/2013, 09:09 AM
just cut it straight with a razor. The seam you redid is not structural.

tufkab
04/02/2013, 09:10 AM
What size tank is this on ?

li_newb
04/02/2013, 11:26 AM
A 46 bowfront. Its in the first post.

Even if it is not structural it still protects the butt joint. I'm wondering if the cut that I might make will not be as strong and water tight after the cut is made than the edge of the crappy looking seam now.

Would it be worse to go over it after cutting than just cutting?

ganjero
04/02/2013, 01:03 PM
I removed the inner fillet. not the butt joint. cleaned meticulously with razor blades, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol and re applied a new inner seam with the scs 1200. just didn't think i needed tape but its looks pretty bad.
Not sure exactly what you mean but if you did no take your tank apart, remove all the old silicone and put it back together with new silicone you did not do much other than add a little protection to the seams. The silicone in between the two glasses is what's holding it together.

Is this an old tank? What made you add silicone?

li_newb
04/02/2013, 01:24 PM
The tank is 11 years old. And the bottom pane had silicone curling off the glass so I decided to do it. I did not take it completely apart. The tank held water when I first got it so I guess the scructural seems are ok. but the curling / lifting scared me so I decided to redo the inside.I couldn't find the plastic braces so I didn't take it all apart and didn't feel comfortable with a total job.

tufkab
04/02/2013, 08:08 PM
A brand new 46 bowfront with a stand sells for $299 around here; you could probably buy the tank alone for under $200.

Take it from someone who's had a tank break. IT'S NOT WORTH IT !!

Toss the tank and buy a new one. In the end $200 is nothing when you look at the cost of a full system. People are buying frags at $200 a piece. You can not even begin to imagine what 46 gallons of water looks like on the floor of your living room. Are you willing to risk thousands of dollars of livestock and TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars damage to your house to save a couple of hundred bucks ?

This is not a hobby to be cutting corners in.

Sorry if I sound like an *******, but sometimes you just have to be told how it is.

CrazyEyes
04/02/2013, 10:24 PM
It's not the new silicone does not bond to old silicone very well it's new silicone does bond to old silicone at all. If you're unsure about any part of it, do not try to go over it, pull all the silicone off and start over. It is the only correct way to do it. I agree on the new tank part to a point. But I will say, removing all the silicone and starting over will take less time and money than cleaning up 46 gallons of saltwater, glass and livestock.