PDA

View Full Version : Eshopps Overflow box leak OMG!!!

FireGuyTN
04/01/2013, 11:00 PM
Im so tired of making trips to my LFS i have primed and cemented all the pvc twice. Now i find out the box is leaking between the thread and the bolt. (I bought it today!) Any suggestions? And another question I bought 2 Eco 663's in the fuge and the water level always is 2 low do i need to get the larger model Overflow? I have the 1000 model now

spicytuna
04/01/2013, 11:42 PM
Im so tired of making trips to my LFS i have primed and cemented all the pvc twice. Now i find out the box is leaking between the thread and the bolt. (I bought it today!) Any suggestions? And another question I bought 2 Eco 663's in the fuge and the water level always is 2 low do i need to get the larger model Overflow? I have the 1000 model now

I don't beleive your water level should be rising to the screws that hold it in place, to be leaking through them.

Are there air bubbles in your U tube?

What pump are you using as a return?

Sounds like your either pumping too much, or you have a bad siphon. You live and learn, but drill that tank and get a real overflow. Anything that hangs on the back of your tank is a disaster waiting to happen.

FireGuyTN
04/02/2013, 12:05 AM
No its leaking at the bulkhead between the thread and bolt. No air bubbles in U tube. 2 Eco 663's for return. I bought it today im taking it back in the morning to get the the 1800 model hopefully that will even out the water levels. But this leaking stuff has gotta stop or ill never sleep at night

dirkomatic
04/02/2013, 06:13 AM
I can't find info on Eco 663... How many GPH are they and do you have valves plugged in to the return line so you can divert some back into the sump if the pumps are too powerful?

I have that exact same overflow and mine works great, although I removed the stock stand pipes and used some 1" PVC cut at different lengths to make and put valves in the drain lines to make it a "herbie". So yours is leaking around the bulkhead? This may be a dumb question, but have you checked the gasket?

ganjero
04/02/2013, 11:29 AM
I have had only bad experiences with Eshopps products and their customer service is terrible. I would return it and get a lifereef overflow box.

+1 on checking the gasket, take the box apart and clean the gasket and where the gasket sits, a tiny grain of dirt can make it leak. Make sure the gasket is inside the box and not outside where the nut goes. Good luck.

sirreal63
04/02/2013, 12:32 PM
Make sure the gasket is on the flange side, not the nut side and there should be no leaks if all the surfaces on both sides of the gasket and mating surfaces are clean and smooth. You also do not have to tighten it very much, I have strong hands and hand tight is usually enough.