PDA

View Full Version : Need some electrical help

DanangMonkey
04/02/2013, 08:03 AM
Currently using an 8 outlet Coralife timer strip for most of the electrical distribution in a living room 90 Gal DT on wood stand. There are 4 unswitched outlets, 2 programmed for night, and two programmed for day.

Night programmed outlets connect to: (1) Main light bar "nightime LED's
(1) Sump light fixture

Day programmed Outlets connect to: (1) Main light bar T5 dual 10K lights
(1) Main Light bar T5 dual actinic lights

Unswitched outlets connect to: (2) Hydro 1400 circulation untis
(1) Sicce 2.0 Pump for EV-120 Skimmer
(1) Sicce 3.0 Sump Return pump

Coralife Timer strip is plugged into a GFCI outlet

My 150W Thermostats (2) are connected to a power strip (which also connects the TV/Cable modem). This power strip is ALSO plugged into the GFCI Outlet.

The total watttage and current (for everything inlcuding the TV) is sufficient for the one 15A GFCI, but that doesnt mean its fail safe or ideal.

I want to get rid of the Coralife timer/strip (although it works it seems like a flimsy plastic toy). I want to install a PDU like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Pro-...4830403&sr=1-1

I also want to install a GFCI outlet with a 120VAC/15A circuit dedicated to the DT.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. How much (on average) to run a dedicated 120VAC/15A circuit back to a panel (100ft to entrance pnl -new home with open attic)

2. The PDU I choose is preliminary. Is thier a better option that can be mounted to the DT stand? Since the PDU has no timer control will I have to connect plug-in timers (another failure point)?

Sorry for the length of the post, wanted to include all pertinent info

Appreciate any/all responses....!!

thegrun
04/02/2013, 08:49 AM
1. Without seeing your home and attic it is difficult to estimate running a new circuit, but if you do the work yourself it would probably take a day and $200.00 worth of material. If you hire an electrician I would say about $500.00.
2. The link to your PDU did not work for me, but I would strongly recommend using one of the aquarium controllers rather than a PDU. If you can afford it a full blown system like the Apex Neptune or Reef Keeper Elite, give you great flexibility in the future, but even the Reef Keeper Lite or Apex Jr. or Apex Lite would be a huge improvement over a simple PDU and cost about the same amount of money.

fishgate
04/02/2013, 09:08 AM
100 foot of romex 14/2 is about $40, 15 amp breaker is about $15, outlet box, faceplate and GFI outlet is around $20. $75 to do it yourself. I just ran 3 circuits and was easy for me.

If the electrician has to stay there all day fishing a line to where it needs to go it will be a lot. $500 is not out of line.

+1 on getting a controller. RKL is $115.