PDA

View Full Version : Need some urgent help with a Rectangle Trigger

NTP66
04/02/2013, 10:07 AM
I had another thread related to this, but wanted to change the title, as I think the situation is more urgent now. I've got a juvenile Humu in QT right now in a 29g tank, one that had just finished tank transfer on Sunday. Lately, I've noticed that he has stopped eating. Wouldn't eat a live clam on the half shell yesterday, won't eat other frozen food I put right in front of his face, and has left a Zebra hermit alone; all odd behavior, IMO, from a trigger. On top of that, he has basically been hanging out at the top of the tank full time, just swimming back and forth along the surface. No heavy breathing, though, and water parameters are all clean (0 ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), as the water was newly made the previous day.

When I received him, he had a small gash on his side, which I thought was getting better. Well, apparently, I have done a pretty poor job of observation, because when I put him into a clear transfer box, I noticed that he actually looks worse. Here's an HD video of him as of right now (change to 720p if it defaults to 480p):

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o0zcxAwXPIc?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="720" width="1280"></iframe>

Here's a still shot of him:

http://i46.*******.com/34pgncx.jpg

I'm unsure of what to do right now, because I really don't know what I should be treating for. To me, it looks like something I should be treating with Maracyn Plus, which I do have. However, the QT was dosed with PraziPro on Sunday, and Hikari gave me the expected answer of "one treatment at a time", though I have read a number of threads here where people mix these two medications successfully.

Any suggestions on what my next step should be here? I'd hate to lose the trigger, especially because of an oversight by myself.

humaguy
04/02/2013, 10:37 AM
it looks like he was bit...keep the water clean, and find something he loves to eat, I would also keep the lights down but not off totally...they are tough- he doesn't look so bad...need to fatten him up...

NTP66
04/02/2013, 12:13 PM
So you don't think I should attempt to treat him using Maracyn Plus, in case he was infected from a bite or something? The first dose of PraziPro should wear off by Thursday, and I could do a large water change before attempting anything else. I just picked up a few more blue leg hermits and some ghost shrimp, with the hope that one of them sparks his interest in food.

NTP66
04/02/2013, 01:08 PM
I just picked up a few more blue leg hermits and some ghost shrimp, with the hope that one of them sparks his interest in food.

I dropped in a bunch of ghost shrimp, and immediately one of them went right over to the trigger in front of his snout, and the trigger did nothing. He's basically ignoring everything in the tank, sitting in the corner at the top.

NTP66
04/03/2013, 04:49 PM
Just to provide an update (to myself?), after doing an 80% water change, my trigger is now back to eating like a... trigger. Swims throughout the tank, etc. in other words, he's back to acting normal!

I firmly believe that it was the PraziPro that caused his appetite loss, as I read a number of other threads where people saw the same issue. I did not see this issue with my Foxface or Puffer, but every fish is different.

This is a huge relief for me.

humaguy
04/03/2013, 05:34 PM
Just to provide an update (to myself?), after doing an 80% water change, my trigger is now back to eating like a... trigger. Swims throughout the tank, etc. in other words, he's back to acting normal!

I firmly believe that it was the PraziPro that caused his appetite loss, as I read a number of other threads where people saw the same issue. I did not see this issue with my Foxface or Puffer, but every fish is different.

This is a huge relief for me.

excellent!