PDA

View Full Version : GSP on back glass

FishAddict87
04/02/2013, 08:47 PM
I saw a thread about GSP here a little while ago and there was a member who had it growing on their back glass. I have a large piece of gsp and was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas on how to get it to stick to the back glass. I was thinking of straight super glue gel but I dont know if that will burn it. I also have some GSP on a small rock and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can take it off the rock and get it on the back glass. I want to put the large piece on one side of the back glass and the small piece on another side so eventually they will spread and then connect. Thanks in advance.

phantomg23
04/02/2013, 09:22 PM
frag small pieces off with a razor blade and put them on frag discs(not plugs) then epoxy those discs to the back glass

Shaun v
04/02/2013, 09:29 PM
I recently scraped some off my glass. I had placed a large piece on the sand near the glas and it just stared growing up it. I had to keep scraping it off because I was selling the frag.

Moort82
04/03/2013, 05:27 AM
Sticking the bottom of gsp will do no harm. I'd make several small frags and let them grow into each other. It will carpet the back quicker but also mean its easier to stick them. One large piece would need lots of glueing.

mfinn
04/03/2013, 08:10 AM
I've super glued GSP on my back wall of my tanks before. Works great. Use the gel type.

worm5406
04/03/2013, 09:40 AM
Ok question on the superglue gel....

I can put it on my gsp... put it straight in the water and put it against the back wall, hold it there and it will 'set?'

saf1
04/03/2013, 09:58 AM
There is a superglue gel type tends to work. You can get it at any local hardware store. There is also something called IC-Gel which most aquarium shops sell. It works more or less if you hold it in place for a good 30 to 60 seconds. Most of the gels are Ethyl Cyanoacrylate based. In a nutshell, you get the GSP, flip it, open cap, put a good ball/dab on the GSP while out of water or just above the water line, then place on the back of the tank wall and hold for 30 to 60 seconds.

You will see the superglue form a sort of white round shield where you placed it. Hard to describe, but anyway once you place it on the wall of the tank you will feel it squish a bit but just hold it. The glue barrier deal is sort of breaking and the gel is moving between the two. It should hold.

I think most already posted on the best way to do this. You can peel some of it off, place a rock and let them spread, then move the rock, etc. If they are already growing then chances are in your favor that they will spread regardless.

modernREEF
04/03/2013, 10:00 AM
Ok question on the superglue gel....

I can put it on my gsp... put it straight in the water and put it against the back wall, hold it there and it will 'set?'

Pretty much, but you would want to blot the spot where the glue is going on to make it dry/damp rather than wet, makes for a better/faster cure.

worm5406
04/03/2013, 10:03 AM
HAHA... Did that and got no stick...

It might be the frag plugs I have though.

mfinn
04/03/2013, 10:15 AM
HAHA... Did that and got no stick...

It might be the frag plugs I have though.

take the GSP off the frag plugs

FishAddict87
04/03/2013, 11:23 AM
I am going to try to get this done today and I will try to take pictures as I do it if I can keep one hand dry.

worm5406
04/03/2013, 11:26 AM
take the GSP off the frag plugs

Now wait a minute... I can not super glue the plug to the wall?

DUHHH... I did take it off the plug.. I was meaning that when I superglued some frags to to a plug it did not stick when I put it in the water, after I let it sit for like 1 minute in the open air.

LOL

biglurr54
04/03/2013, 12:37 PM
Look at the bottom of the gsp. Find a spot that isnt purple flesh and make a small frag around the spot. Take the frag out of the tank and dry that back side with paper towels. make sure its fairly dry. Don't worry the oposite side will stay wet keeping it alive. Then coat the back of the gsp with a good amount of super glue gel. This is important. A thin amount will cure when it hits the water. Take the frag and stick it to the back wall. Once you stick against the wall slide the frag down up or over a bit. The idea is the glue cures and creates a shell when it hits water. When you slide the frag the shell breaks exposing the glass to new uncure glue. It worked well for me. Even after a crab ripped the gsp off the back wall he couldnt get the spots glues. They rebounded, He did not!

biglurr54
04/03/2013, 12:39 PM
Sometimes its easier to get the frag to stick to a really small rock or chip of crushed coral then glue that to the wall. Another tip is to target coraline algae on you glass. It will help the glue stick.

Flakes
04/03/2013, 12:49 PM
you can use cable ties to hold it on the inside part of a mag float

FishAddict87
04/03/2013, 01:53 PM
I couldnt keep one hand dry while doing this so I couldnt take pictures of me doing it but I just took the gsp as it was a large mini football size and I helped it break into four to five pieces. I only stuck 3 pieces to the back glass because they were the only ones which had the most points of contact to the back glass which allowed a larger surface area of super glue gel. The other pieces consisted of one that was connected to a small rock and a large part of the mini football which I just placed on the sand by itself. I plan on placing rubble around it and allow the gsp it take over those pieces and give them to the lfs for credit. It was fairly easy to do this, took about 5 minutes.

pjewett
04/03/2013, 02:21 PM
http://www.aqua-mags.com/