PDA

View Full Version : Kind of film green algea on rocks

ctniners
04/03/2013, 10:04 AM
So my tank has been set up for over a year...i have seen different kinds of algae...this kind is green and is kind of a film...when i use my baster is just peels off the rocks and it swims in a tank kind like a leaf would....there are parts that air gets underneath it so the air bubbles get stuck underneath...nothing like bubble algea of course...im just wondering if there is a good snail or crab that would eat it...i have hermits, narites,turbos and an emerald crab (passed away after getting stuck in my mp10 pump)....but they are not going towards or cunsuming it....any ideas?.....could it that i need to increase my cuc?

By the way i have a 40 b....2 clowns...mandarin...and cleaner shrimp....running reactor with chemipure elite....salifert test is showing 0 phosphates but im sure is not 0....no hair algae...

Palting
04/03/2013, 10:31 AM
What I've found works best for turf algae, and I think this is what that is, are sea urchins. I have two long spines, and they continuously clean the rock. They do also eat coralline, though, if that is a concern for you.

ctniners
04/03/2013, 10:52 AM
Turf algea...never heard of it....im gonna look it up...thanks....i have always been on the fence with urchins mainly because of their spikes....from handling them to worrying about them hurting the corals...also sometimes i wonder if they get too big for a 40 b to survive their appetite....i didnt know about the coralline issue though....i do like my coralline on my glass and the little i have on the rocks

ctniners
04/03/2013, 04:32 PM
Was looking up pictures of turf algae and it doesnt seem to be what i have..i have more like a film green algae...the algea i have can be blown off the rocks with a turkey baster...i was just looking to see what animal eats this stuff...maybe is time to buy more cleaning crew

MARINECRITTERS
04/03/2013, 04:40 PM
Most likely film algae, every tank has it it just grows at different rates. You can clean it off your glass with a magnet cleaner, you could also buy some large snails ( make sure you are not purchasing the coldwater species ), as palting said, urchins will help clean up the algae. If you are convinced it is something else, look up green slim algae.