PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard about this? - Reefing in danger of becaming ilegal?!

higorc
04/05/2013, 08:44 AM
I wonder how serious this is. If I understood this correctly, it sounds REALLY BAD if it goes through…:sad1::mad:

Not sure why but I couldn't post the link to it, but if you do a Google search for "Proposed Endangered SPS corals - UltimateReef.com" you will see what I mean.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/higorc/Hobbyinjeopardy_zpsd6952c5f.png

Higor

Potsy
04/05/2013, 08:58 AM
There's a lot of hysteria and misinformation regarding this legislation. The other thread has been closed down, but in it i quoted a source who spoke directly to the NOAA and learned the following which indicates that agents aren't going to be confiscating our livestock and non monetary frag trade won't be impacted. I would be surprised if they shut down aquaculture facilities, losing tons of genetic stock.

AGAIN TO CLARIFY, AND IF YOU DONT TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS, DONT COMMENT. THANKS.

***FACTS***

You can own any specimen on the list,

You can continue to own them, even after the classification,

You can transport them across state lines but not for commercial purposes, and not internationally,

You can give or receive any specimens on the list for free (IE frag swaps and giving frags to friends) but no money or services/goods can be exchanged,

Most on the list are being classified as "threatened" not "endangered" which means there will be even more "exclusions and circumstances" that ALLOW for ownership and the likes, INCLUDING CAPTIVE RAISED SPECIMENS,

Other rights and privledges are available if you own the specimen prior to the new classifications.

Again hopefully this clarifies some info for people that seem to be confused.

Whatever you decide to comment...... I only ask you do 20 minutes of reading before doing so.

Topics to search.......

ESA (endangered species act)
&
Threatened species clasification and definition

If you still have questions or want to get the info from the horses mouth, call them yourself (NOAA), contact info can be found here.....

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ole/about/contacts.html

Have a great night everyone

Sent Via the clay-boa Forum APP
So You Can
KEEP CALM AND REEF ON!!

Potsy
04/05/2013, 09:02 AM
So, none of the specimens in your tanks will be affected, and there is nothing stopping you from acquiring species on the list at frag swaps other reefers, etc. and imo I would bet aquaculture facilities will be buoyed by the legislation, not hurt by it.

higorc
04/05/2013, 09:09 AM
I see...but it still sucks. So I won't be able to sell frags of what I have when I need to trim down my corals? I always liked the idea that my tank gives me a "little $ back" for all the $ I sink into it!

What about the LFS and online vendors? They wouldn't be able to sell any of these at all than!?

Higor

Patroklos
04/05/2013, 09:10 AM
The problem is that very few people and especially new reefers don't get frags via swaps but rather buy them. I, for instance, have been feefing for 7 years now and just set up a new tank. As I don't have anything to swap I will have to buy frags.

And aquaculture facilities don't pay the rent via swaps, if they can't charge money they will go under. And a good number of reefers use thier grown in tank's clippings to defray the cost of the hobby, not to get new frags they have no space for. Shall we just throw those trimmings away now?

rrasco
04/05/2013, 09:10 AM
Good luck with this thread, they just closed the last one because it was politically related. Even though it's directly going to affect this site, it's users, and our entire hobby....let's just not talk about it.

Patroklos
04/05/2013, 09:13 AM
Its only political if you make it so. Discussing the actual effects of the legislation ie what it means for the trade is not political.

Potsy
04/05/2013, 09:23 AM
Well, legally no, but how can such sales be policed? Again, the law does not yet address aquacultured specimens. It may very well be the case that companies like ORA are relatively unaffected. They might face tighter regulation, but I can't think of a logical reason why, in the name of conservation, the aquaculture of corals endangered in nature would be shut down. Why would conservationists want to do that. From my quick investigation into the matter, it seems the aquaculture business is well represented in NOAA's decision making. They're being unusually transparent about the whole process.

Potsy
04/05/2013, 09:26 AM
The problem is that very few people and especially new reefers don't get frags via swaps but rather buy them. I, for instance, have been feefing for 7 years now and just set up a new tank. As I don't have anything to swap I will have to buy frags.

And aquaculture facilities don't pay the rent via swaps, if they can't charge money they will go under. And a good number of reefers use thier grown in tank's clippings to defray the cost of the hobby, not to get new frags they have no space for. Shall we just throw those trimmings away now?

Again, I'm not certain that aquaculture will be shut down. The law seems to apply to imported wild specimens. But who knows?

higorc
04/05/2013, 09:34 AM
I personally felt a little sick when I heard about this yesterday. If we don't talk about it, is it going to go away? Probably not. Every time I tried to ignore something, it usually gets worse before it gets better... If ever!

This is really bothersome and it will affect not only us, but potentially change the Reef Hobby all together.

I don't think I would stop buying new corals and selling my frags. For crying out loud, I am literally in the process of upgrading my tank from a 72G to a 120G...already bought the tank, built my sump/fuge and am about to finish my canopy! Now you telling me I am going to have to have to buy and sell my corals ILEGALY?!

Pretty soon corals will be selling as much as Drugs do!

It always crossed my mind I would ventually turn into a life of Crime!!! :thumbsup: :spin3:

Higor