PDA

View Full Version : How to wirelessly communicate with Radions

Hdhuntr01
04/05/2013, 05:18 PM
I just bought three Radion Pro fixtures. I set them up with no major problems using a USB cable directly to my laptop. The aquarium system has an APEX Controller which is hooked up to a wireless bridge router and then to my wireless network router. I can access it anywhere I have internet access. My Bridge Router has a USB port. I plugged the Radion into the USB Port but can not figure out how to access it through Eco Smart Live.

How should I set this up?

apw63
04/06/2013, 04:27 PM
If the USB port on your router is for setting up network storage like a NAS drive. You may be out of luck. If its setup to be a share port you might be in luck. Have you installed the the EcoTech connection manager software on your laptop? This is the software you use with Ecosmart live. If the connection manager can not see your light on the network your most likely going to be out of luck. When you first setup your lights did you use Ecosmart live?

Andy

Hdhuntr01
04/06/2013, 05:20 PM
I did download the connection manager and I did set up the lights on EcoSmart Live. I will hook up one of the lights to the USB Port and see if I can find it through the connection manager. Don't specifically remember looking for it in the connection manager when the light was hooked to the bridge router so I will try that step again.

Thanks for the info...

worm5406
04/06/2013, 10:04 PM
Mine should be here Tuesday.

This is what I got to connect them:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058DN1Q4/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61fnjCHcm3L._SL1500_.jpg

worm5406
04/10/2013, 09:58 AM
Mine should be here Tuesday.

This is what I got to connect them:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058DN1Q4/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61fnjCHcm3L._SL1500_.jpg

BTW... Works nicely!!

mfinn
04/10/2013, 06:42 PM
So, for the tech challenged like me, you use the usb connection from the Radion to that unit and you can access ESL from your desktop at the other end of the house?

worm5406
04/10/2013, 08:57 PM
To start you hook it wired into the network.

Configure it for your wireless, with ssid and password.
I set mine up as a static IP # so I never have to worry about it. I set it to x.x.x.98, which is actually one lower than my apex at x.x.x.99. My DHCP begins at x.x.x.100.

Unplug it from the network and the wall.
Place it where it is going to be and plug it in to power.

Power it on. It will connect to the wireless. (you can test it before you leave beside the computer if you want also.)

Then plug ONE radion into it.

Since it is on the same network as your computer, maybe different subnet/IP address, YES.... you can connect to it from anywhere in the house/network.

Launch the program that came with the adapter, and tell it to CONNECT to that one usb, that is now shown on the screen.

One thing to keep in mind it will timeout, disconnect, when you program it because it reboots the radion.

All you do is launch the program, if you closed it, it runs as a service so it is always running, and the ecosmart config will see it.

NICE.... I played with it for a while.

hollywood85
05/10/2013, 06:47 AM
Worm,

How is this working out for you? Is it worth it? Do you like to be able to cnnect at anytime? I am hooking up 2 pros soon and wondering if I should do this as well? It is worth just the wow factor to show off to mey friends that I can control it with my ipad?

Thanks!

worm5406
05/10/2013, 06:51 AM
Ohhh I do not use it to connect with the Ipad or anything.

I did not want to run a cable over to my computer in the other room. And did not want to put a computer/laptop in there. One day but no time soon.

So Yeah I have to walk around the corner and try the colors. But my kids or friends help fine tune the colors with me. Then we test it in the preview to see it.

It is more of a convenience item for me.

It works perfectly though.

hollywood85
05/10/2013, 06:57 AM
Wait, I'm confused? Don't you have them hooked that to have them live on your network to be able to access at anytime? iphone, ipad, droid, laptop, etc....

worm5406
05/10/2013, 07:34 AM
What I got is a USB extender over wireless.

I will not be accessing them daily/minutely So I have it set to where I have to click on connect to access them. This keeps one more point down on my network. for problems or rogue programs. Granted they can not be hacked like somethings but I would much rather not have anything try to probe it and mess it up.

All I have to do it click the iogear icon, click connect on the device (there are 3 usb ports on the device for different items) the right click the live icon and say to connect to esl live.

Pow... there they are and ready to program.

hollywood85
05/10/2013, 07:53 AM
Ok, I know why I'm confused. I was thinking they connect via ethernet, not usb for some reason. It makes sense now. Duh!

Thanks, can't wait to try them out.