PDA

View Full Version : CodyReed29 15 gallon long

codyreed29
04/05/2013, 08:36 PM
I'm just going to share my aquarium since I like input and judgemnt from others. I have had a few tanks with no success at all but Well just read along and tell me what you think.

The tank and system has only barely cycled and is about a month or so old.
I made the tank and stand myself so it's not perfect. And I'm a cluts so Of course little imperfections. I'm a jerry rigger as well so things are kinda bent streched and slightly busted. I also am a cheapo when it comes to buying things. Rigging before buying is my bros before hoes LOL.

So here the tank list

eqiupment
15 gallon long rimless with 2 3/4 ovrflow 1 3/4 return All DIY with oops scratch clumbs damn.Back is painted black rimless. I built a custom sand thats anything from perfect and kinda wacky but works well holds a 55 gallon tank with a ten gallon ato resvoir chamber. Coming down from the overflows. One feeds a diy reactor with gfo and carbon mix. The other to above water line filter floss polyfilter. Then over a 2.5g tank. Then skimmer ato heater and return. Back up I have a massive aqeoun powerhead like 1650gph. and 4x54watt t5 460act/2 12k/420act. I have a 42watt cfl for sump light but will eventually put 2 t5s 6500k 10k.

The tank has a fake sand bed about a cm high. Basically like a barebottom but looks like sand. I have about 15 lbs in the display with hermits snails,a chromis and domino damsel. The sump has a little tank with live sand and mud cato and some plants. The sump also has about 12-15 lbs of live rock. total amount of water is 30 gallons. I use a ro type filter for topoff and water changes. I'm only keeping 2 of the 4 lights on and am going to start buying some mushrooms and softies maybe some lps at the top for a few months. Till I get my water very consistent then Ill buy the sps. Going to slowly add till I have all I want.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/?tab=mX#photos/118073218291502982265/albums/5863556104125269553

miniwhinny
04/06/2013, 05:56 AM
I have a 15 too (but a totally different shape) I'm really loving how yours looks being so much longer :) Looking forward to seeing it "grow".

codyreed29
04/06/2013, 09:26 AM
Yeah technically it's about 17.4 only holds 15 gallons. I can't wait to get some corals. I live in a small town here in Texas and we just got first saltwater and coral lfs about 2 months ago.

codyreed29
04/06/2013, 06:26 PM
So I've added a float valve on my topoff tank for extended vacations so that I can leave fo 2-3 weeks. I had a hermit crab grab on to my float switch and dump the whole contents of the ato about 10 gallons into my tank in the first week or so. Thus i am going to order another float switch to run as a cutoff incase this happens again or if it get debris clogged. I don't want to com home to 100$ acros dead cause a 1.50 hermit crab.

Tell me this is correct upside down float switch wired to pump and then split a wire from the switch to the current switch is fail safe.

codyreed29
04/06/2013, 06:52 PM
Rescape pics with 2 lights only. 4 is insane bright. This gives a better flow thru the tank before my fish only stay at the left side because of such high flow. It does keep the display really free of poop and stuff I guess I will be getting cave dwelling fish that will hang out in the caves and avoid getting blown away.

I have to aim the thing up so that the fish can't handle the current. I'll add that the tank is 47wide,10 high,10 deep

I figured out what sps I want. Blue tip acro, tricolor acro purple digi monti, and orange monti. Still haven't figured out any softies or lps. I guess Spontaneous with the lps. And a mix of spontaneous and picking for softs,polyps mushrooms.

codyreed29
04/09/2013, 05:32 PM
Well I'm finalized with stocking so i figured I'd add it.
So now i have a stocking list:

all from figi
Fish:
2 barbelli clownfish
Lemonpeel angel dwarf

Corals:
few acropora
birdnest
torch
frogspawn
candy cane
red mushrooms
zoathinds
yellow figi leather

Inverts:
Bulb anenome

codyreed29
04/16/2013, 08:07 PM
My tank When about as high a giraffas *** in nitrates but is starting to come down. I'm getting some serous purple green brown bright green narly looking.