PDA

View Full Version : Hectors goby

Megatrev62
04/05/2013, 10:10 PM
Hello all, wondering if introducing a hectors goby would present a problem in my 90 gallon. My concern would be the already established royal gramma.

Thanks for any help.

Megatrev62
04/06/2013, 09:18 AM
bump thanks

Megatrev62
04/06/2013, 11:08 AM
Is there anyone?

CedzAquAddictio
04/06/2013, 11:19 AM
Can't be absolutely sure, but, grammas are an aggressive fish to begin with. Adding a fish to a tank that a gramma is already established in will probably mean the newcomer will not get a good welcome.

Your best bet would be to add it at night after the fish are sleeping and before you go to bed, but that's not a guarantee...

Mabye put a picture of the goby on the tank and see if the gramma attacks the picture? Never tried it myself, but, have heard of others that have...

Best of luck!!!

Megatrev62
04/06/2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks for reply. Figure there may be squabbling, and will just have to monitor.

NYCBOB
04/06/2013, 04:51 PM
in a 90 gallon, I doubt anything serious will happen. I think it is safe to add the hector goby.

falconut
04/06/2013, 05:16 PM
Not sure about a Hector's, but neither of the two grammas I've had were aggressive. They do the open mouth thing when a new fish goes near their place, but never saw mine bother any other fish. In a 90, you should be fine.

small alien
04/07/2013, 11:59 AM
I have both in a 75 and I believe the hector's went in second. My tailspot blenny and royal gramma used to bicker until the gramma got fed up. The blenny now swims around the gramma. I'd go for it. They're both beautiful fish. You might add the goby at the opposite end of the tank from where the gramma has its sleeping cave if you know where that is. Good luck.

Ghstwolf
04/07/2013, 07:11 PM
I recently added a Hector to my 90g system.. My 6-Line flashed and pitched a fit a bit at first, but after 2 weeks he pretty much goes anywhere in the tank without much bickering.. It was a nice addition to my tank and I'm happy with him and he seems to be doing fine.

Posidion
04/07/2013, 07:28 PM
:One of the solutions that has worked well for me in some of my clients tanks has been to rearrange some of the landscapejust before adding the new fish or when there was some aggression shown. I realize this can often be difficult in reef tanks but it works essentially because all the fish boundaries get shuffled so there too busy trying to make sense of things too bully. Imagine how confused you'd be if someone moved all the houses in your neighborhood and added a neighbor you prob don't like. Would you chase them out out find your own stuff? :confused:

Megatrev62
04/08/2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks for input. My interest was sparked when I say the fish in small aliens pics. I'm looking at getting one in at the LFS next week. Will more than likely go the old african cichlid route and rearrange the scape a little.

small alien
04/08/2013, 10:10 PM
They are an interesting and beautiful little fish. I think you will really enjoy having one in your tank. Good luck.

rssjsb
04/09/2013, 09:46 AM
My interest was sparked when I say the fish in small aliens pics.Paul's a menace. Now I'm trying to figure out where I can obtain an orange banded pipefish. :)