PDA

View Full Version : need help im at wits end here

tankmate1986
04/06/2013, 12:22 AM
I have a blue hippo tang. Came in with flukes unfortunately. Ok here it goes. I had it for about two weeks when I found out. I did a fresh water dip for 7 minutes. Put him in qt. He was therefor a week. Than treated with prazi. I had to order it online because noone carried it in my area or I would've treated immediately. It's now been a week since that. I'm about to start with water changes and carbon now since its the end of the dosing period. My question is since I put him in the qt he's been hiding all the time and when he does come out he swims slow and sometimes sideways with his head pointed down. He almost seems like he's trying to hold himself from floating when he's swimming. He also just started to not eat as much but he is eating. I also have a small klump.of cheato floating in the tank with him to help with water quality as well as maybe he'd eat some. As of right now all parameters are good.

salinity is 1.025
ammonia 0
nitrates about 10
not sure on ph because my lfs is sold out of kits and I'm waiting for his order to get a new one
temp is 73

This thing has given me problems since I got him but doesnt seem to want to die just keep me on my toes lol. Any help would or ideas on what might be causeing this would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

snake42490
04/06/2013, 11:40 PM
I think blue hippos are very strange in multiple ways lol. I have had mine lay on their sides, swim side ways etc in QT tanks. I partly think they struggle to see and don't know which way to stay up. I have started putting a black towel on the bottom of my tanks and it has helped when I get them. The one I had would be sideways in the tank, but when I would put a towel on the bottom they would start swimming normal. I would keep an eye on the fish, make sure that it's comfortable. Put some pvc pipe in the tank for it to hide in. Maybe even try putting the tank in an area where it is secluded so the fish isn't scared. See if that helps.

sammy77
04/07/2013, 07:35 AM
I agree that they have some weird behavior at times. Mines in the DT now for 6+ months and he does act goofy most times. I'd also treat him with copper after you've removed all the Prazi. Give him lots of Nori.

tankmate1986
04/07/2013, 12:00 PM
Well I think I found the problem. I went to bed two nights ago and the thermostat on the tank heater failed overnight and it kept running. The temp raised to 79 degrees by the morning and now he's acting like nothing ever happened. I do agree with them not being able to see well because before the temp spike he was under the cheato completely upside down just sitting there. I thought he was dead so I went to remove him and he swam away. All in all now that the temp raised he's doing a lot better.