PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a 65 gal tank + sump

rachelflordia
04/06/2013, 10:08 AM
Ok, so I'm brand new to fish keeping. My boss knows I'm a fish nerd, so when he bought a tank for the workplace he made it my job. I have two tanks a 55 gal that will probably be fresh water, which I'm not too worried about. But the 65 gal came with a sump! I'm so confused!

1. In the tank there is an overflow box with two holes, one that smaller has a rigid PVC like tube that appears to be as tall as the side of the tank, what is this one for? I figure its for the sump but I don't know.

2. There is also a shorter tube that has slots/perforations, I figure that this is the drain, but I'm not sure.

3. Then there's the sump, It has two chambers a smaller one and a larger section. On the larger side there is a drilled hole on the side (towards the bottom) what is this for?

4. Which side is supposed to be the entry/drain side and which should be the return?

5. how exactly should I setup the return. I known I need a pump but where should this lead?

6. There's also two drilled holes towards the top of the divider in the sump, what are these for?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've never dealt with plumbing and sumps!