PDA

View Full Version : Overflow and tank jump guards

devimik
04/06/2013, 12:49 PM
Just thought I'd share this solution to my problem.

Had my Lawnmower Blenny jump into the corner overflow twice - the first time, he ended up in the filter sock. The second time, he just ended up in the overflow and it was very difficult to get him out. Of course, I needed to prevent him from getting in there again.

I also have about 2 inches behind my tank between the wall and the rim that I needed to cover to prevent jumping out - only on the back tank wall because of my canopy on the other 3 sides.

Got some rigid gutter guard panels and a roll of flexible gutter guard from Lowe's and some velcro strips.

The rigid gutter guards, I just used the velcro strips to attach it to the wall and have the bottom edge on the tank rim - cut a couple of notches for the powerhead cords - quick and easy. If a fish jumps out, it will hit this and slide back into the tank.

Used the flexible mesh on the overflow and attached it with fishing line.

Now I'm happy I don't need to worry about Mr. Blenny ending up in the sock or overflow, or much worse, on the floor! :^)

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/6994/img20130404231314552.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img33/6680/img20130404233651745.jpg

matt_97055
04/06/2013, 08:16 PM
That's a good idea.

sp0k
04/06/2013, 08:30 PM
really cool ty..

SkyReef
04/06/2013, 10:12 PM
I used egg crate over my internal, coast-to-coast overflow-box. However, I found that it collected debris, interfering with the weir. Have you found a way to prevent your mesh fence-guard from interfering with your overflow weir? How is it positioned in relation to the weir of your overflow? Is there any chance that debris or algae would clog the holes of your mesh fence-guard? Hope it will work out!

devimik
04/07/2013, 01:09 AM
Thanks guys.

SkyReef, I actually cut the fence guard to fit above the overflow slots, so it would not get clogged. I just measured how deep I was putting the guard into the overflow and cut out the section where the overflow or weir is. I would imagine it might catch debris more than the normal overflow due to the smaller openings. If you can't cut around the openings, or if your coast-to-coast overflow doesn't have openings like my corner overflow, you could install the gutter guard and just check it every few days to ensure it isn't clogged. Good luck.