PDA

View Full Version : SPS Identafication

tspfish
04/06/2013, 04:13 PM
I got this SPS frag the other day and cannot find a pic anywhere to see what it is called, anyone know?

TOM BLEVINS
04/07/2013, 10:13 AM
looks to be a Jedi Mind Trick.

tspfish
04/07/2013, 10:38 AM
Thank you so much Tom, you are absolutely right.

Frick
04/08/2013, 01:34 PM
Jedi Mind Trick is a named coral which has lineage to a specific colony. I had JMT Montipora and it did very poor in my tank. At the same time I picked up a wild bleached Monti at a LFS called Aquatouch that turned in to the same color combo as JMT. I could have lied and called it Jedi Mind Trick Montirpora, but it grew faster and was far more hardier than JMT. Instead I called it Aquatouch (the store it came from) Montipora undata. When put side by side with JMT they would fight and had very different results when growing even though they looked the same they were not. Here is a picture of my Aquatouch Montipora Undata.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee320/Jason_Frick/40%20gallon%20sps/P1010340.jpg

My point being if you are looking for an ID, you are better off finding the species before you slap a show name on it. You could end up getting misleading care information for the coral.