PDA

View Full Version : Three Tangs in QT Tank?

r1racer
04/07/2013, 05:01 PM
So I would like to introduce all of my fish at once. On my list are the Scopas, Blue and Powder Blue Tangs. Is it too ricky to introduce all three in a 33g qt tank? All are small in size (1-1 1/2 inches).

nynick
04/07/2013, 05:49 PM
Almost impossible to say. Tang temperaments vary wildly, even within the same species. My guess would be that 3 is fine but 2 is not. They tend to just give up when defending a territory becomes blatantly impossible.

bnumair
04/07/2013, 08:09 PM
U can and observe. If they dont get along u can divide the tank using egg crate. I always divide my qt tank when I have more than 1 tang.

scuzy
04/07/2013, 08:33 PM
It all depends i have 5 in my 100 qt right now and there is no temper issues for the last 2 weeks 8 more to go till my dt is finally ich free. Then again these tangs been with each other for 8 years

ACBlinky
04/07/2013, 08:58 PM
I have three in my QT right now -- a baby hippo, 2.5" yellow, and 3" kole and they're all getting along beautifully. The tank is a 26g bowfront full of natural and artificial rockwork; there are LOADS of hiding places. There is also a 4" spotted rabbitfish in the tank, and he's the one with all the attitude; he and the yellow tang did squabble about territory for the first couple of days together, but it mostly consisted of 'here are my spines' 'oh yeah? Well I have a scalpel on my tail so bugger off!' displays, nobody got hurt. The other two tangs are smaller and more timid than both the yellow and the rabbitfish and kept to themselves, each chose his/her own space in the rockwork and sleeps there at night.

I think the key is to introduce them all at once, provide plenty of hiding spots, and once you do so, don't move things around. They'll find places to call their own, and settle in; if you move things, any quarreling that took place over territory will start over again.

triggreef
04/07/2013, 09:14 PM
I have the same 3 as ABC above, and a powder blue as well in a 90g qt. No rockwork but I bought the tank used with some plastic freshwater accessories (building ruins, castle, tree stump) I used instead of pvc for hiding places. No issues really but all introduced within two days.

r1racer
04/08/2013, 12:21 PM
Good news...also have a maroon clown that's going into qt as well. I'm sure the tangs won't have a problem dealing with him. My 6 inch damsel will may be a problem when it's time to release them into the wild. He's never killed anything but harasses them all for two three days (even a trigger) and then all is good.