PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a veterinarian who treats fish in So Cal area?

tjdouglas
04/08/2013, 03:52 AM
Hi All! I have a couple of h. erectus seahorses with external gas bubble disease, and I really need to find a vet who will prescribe Diamox for them. Anyone know of a vet in the area who would be helpful? I do not mind taking the seahorses in to see a vet...just have no idea of any vets here that would even treat or look at fish/seahorses.

rayjay
04/08/2013, 06:53 AM
Some vets will prescribe based on pictures of your problem seahorses coupled with instructions from the "org" printed off and taken in to them.
The instructions may be somewhere on this site also but I can't find it in my search.
If you use a vet for another family pet, I'd start there.

tjdouglas
04/10/2013, 11:48 PM
Thanks Rayjay. I know exactly the instructions you are talking about! I think I have a downloaded copy of them on my laptop.

I actually do not have any other pets...guess I am a reef "purist"..so no family vet. But maybe I can find someone in the area who can recommend a good "regular" vet.

gnu
04/11/2013, 08:30 AM
Am rather ignorant about the SoCal area, but you could try your zoo or aquarium. Their vets would actually know how to treat. Otherwise, ask friends for recommendations, if you have a reference, their vet might be more willing to work with you. Good luck!

namxas
04/11/2013, 04:42 PM
We used someone in OC several years ago, but unfortunately, we don't recall who it was (we needed to treat a SH w/baytril). Most vets who advertise "exotics" handle herps and fish.

tjdouglas
04/11/2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Gnu. I did not even consider contacting personnel at the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific...and it is right here in my own home town!

tjdouglas
04/11/2013, 07:56 PM
Namxas, thanks for the suggestion of looking for an "exotics" vet. There must be one or two around here somewhere.

timinnl
04/12/2013, 02:09 PM
Years ago there was a vet practice in Fountain Valley that did exotics. You could also contact places that sell koi's, they might know of a fish friendly vet?

Are these in the same tank as the reidis who are gilling?

Kind Regards,

Tim

tjdouglas
04/18/2013, 02:01 AM
Thank you Tim in the Netherlands:) I did find a vet who deals with fish and who makes home visits. He was a very nice guy and seemed very knowledgeable about all things fishy!