PDA

View Full Version : Taotronics, Reefbreeders, and the great LED debate

Tenshoa
04/08/2013, 01:54 PM
So I know that there have been numerous posts about this, but I figured I'd start from scratch as to gain perspective from people who have had long term experience with these or similar.

It's cheap. I get that. But does it do the job and does it look nice?

I don't want care about their longevity since I can justify having to buy a new one every year for 4 consecutive years for what many of the top end, brand name models cost. That is unless the units are dying in less than 6 months.

Take into consideration that LED's for aquariums were introduced about 10 years ago as moon lights and then 4-5 years ago for viable reef sustainability. If I buy something now for $700, in another 4-5 years, the technology will have AT LEAST doubled (considering that technological advancements typically compound). Kind of a waste of money if you ask me.

I don't care about programmable features like thunderstorms, plugging into your computer, onboard timers, digital displays, etc. All I want is an LED fixture with independent dimmable blues and whites that has 2 cords that I can plug into timers, looks good, and can adequately sustain my corals.

I am also toying with the idea of mixing an LED fixture with 2 of my current T5's. I have a 65 gallon tank with a cabinet style hood that will allow me to pretty easily install anything I want in the top lid. It would be a T5 in the back, LED fixture in the middle, and T5 in the front.

I have seen many good user reviews on the Taotronics and would like to hear from people who have had them for some time and their experiences.

I don't care about magazine reviews since many of them are biased and influenced by the bureaucracy and endorsements. Don't argue with me about this, I was involved in an industry where I saw this first hand. In addition, I have yet to see a magazine review that has posted their test results much later than their initial purchase of the item, leaving the longevity of even the top brands as well as long term coral growth, still to question.

User experiences, proven track records by such are most important to me.

I also welcome any suggestions for something comparably priced.

TheGodParticle
04/08/2013, 02:26 PM
Sounds like you want something that is dirt cheap that will hopefully grow corals and you don't really care if it's a crap fixture or not. I'd just stick with what you have. I personally wouldn't want any fixture no matter what the price was if I had to replace it every year. I ran a couple tao tronics for about 8 months. Didn't like them at all and the channels starting going out. Sold em and chalked them up as junk along with the other 10-12 people locally that did the group buy. They resell very easy though, people eat those fixtures up. Some people have great luck with them.

Tenshoa
04/08/2013, 02:36 PM
Sounds like you want something that is dirt cheap that will hopefully grow corals and you don't really care if it's a crap fixture or not. I'd just stick with what you have. I personally wouldn't want any fixture no matter what the price was if I had to replace it every year. I ran a couple tao tronics for about 8 months. Didn't like them at all and the channels starting going out. Sold em and chalked them up as junk along with the other 10-12 people locally that did the group buy. They resell very easy though, people eat those fixtures up. Some people have great luck with them.

The reason that I don't want to stay with my existing T5's is that I can't dim them for appearance reasons, they're $30 per bulb to replace every 6 months, and the type of canopy I have tends to trap their heat.

How about Reefbreeders?

Recliner
04/08/2013, 02:38 PM
I used one for 4 months and liked it. I would have bought a second but I was dumb and thought it was 120 degree optics when I wanted 90 degree. After I bought 2 reef breeders I realized the tautronics is 90 degree.
So far I have my reef breeders hung 11" high while my taotronic was 7" high. I don't know if that makes a big difference but the reef breeders don't seem as bright as the taotronics was. I think the reef breeders have better coloring though (especially when only the blue lights are on)

TheGodParticle
04/08/2013, 02:43 PM
The reason that I don't want to stay with my existing T5's is that I can't dim them for appearance reasons, they're $30 per bulb to replace every 6 months, and the type of canopy I have tends to trap their heat.

How about Reefbreeders?

How often are you wanting to dim your lights though? Are you wanting to dim them everyday manually? Like a sunrise - sunset? Your bulbs should be lasting you longer than 6 months.

Tenshoa
04/08/2013, 02:59 PM
How often are you wanting to dim your lights though? Are you wanting to dim them everyday manually? Like a sunrise - sunset? Your bulbs should be lasting you longer than 6 months.

Just once to the coloration that is to my viewing preference. Maybe ocaissionally adjust. Definitely not daily.

Maybe longer than 6 months. I'm just speculating.

TheGodParticle
04/08/2013, 03:05 PM
Gotcha... I did some dimmable LED strips in conjunction with MH and liked it a lot. I used the Ecoxotic Pro Panorama Strips. As you stated previously, that may be a route you could look into, doing a combo of both. What's wrong with your T5's though? Why do you want to dim them? Are you bleaching corals or something?

Tenshoa
04/08/2013, 03:22 PM
Gotcha... I did some dimmable LED strips in conjunction with MH and liked it a lot. I used the Ecoxotic Pro Panorama Strips. As you stated previously, that may be a route you could look into, doing a combo of both. What's wrong with your T5's though? Why do you want to dim them? Are you bleaching corals or something?

Yeah. I did that in my biocube. I added a pro panorama and a reefbrite to my 10k PC and it was perfect. As I stated before, mostly for viewing and partly for heat issues. I haven't discounted the strips entirely but just set the idea aside since I wasn't sure how adequate they'd be and whether or not I wanted to go full led in the future. If the latter were the case, I don't think the strips alone would be sufficient, thereby wasting that money.

Ron Reefman
04/09/2013, 05:31 AM
I've had TaoTronics, SunSun and EverGrow (who make the Reef Breeders lights) and the EverGrow is hands down better. The TaoTronics and SunSun both have much louder fans and run warmer (although not anywhere close to hot) than the EverGrow. I can do custom layouts with led colors (which I did) with EverGrow. And for me the biggest thing is EverGrow stands behind their fixtures. I haven't had any issues with mine, but I know of a couple problems they have had and I know how well EverGrow dealt with them directly and timely and without any fuss. EverGrow has customer service that puts some US companies to shame (not to mention most Chinese companies). And all 3 companies sell their basic fixure (which all look the same from the outside) for the same basic price, around $180-$200.

Lostinthedark
04/09/2013, 05:53 AM
I have the Tao-Tronics for a couple of years now. After the initial acclimation period most everything colors up nice and growth is not an issue. A few caveats: Ricordea turned orange but look amazing under blue only. Mushrooms only survive and only florish in the caves out of direct light. And the biggest thing is I've had 1 unit die completely and one where I lost half the whites. The others have a few bulbs out on each one.

Ron Reefman
04/09/2013, 09:51 AM
I have the Tao-Tronics for a couple of years now. After the initial acclimation period most everything colors up nice and growth is not an issue. A few caveats: Ricordea turned orange but look amazing under blue only. Mushrooms only survive and only florish in the caves out of direct light. And the biggest thing is I've had 1 unit die completely and one where I lost half the whites. The others have a few bulbs out on each one.

I don't have my old TaoTronic led anymore. Can you replace the burned out bulbs? I can on my EverGrow. It just takes a bit of my time and a soldering iron.

Mtwreef
04/09/2013, 04:13 PM
I just ordered my evergrow d120 after a lot of reading and back and forth I would say go evergrow but I will let you know when they arrive

HBPat
04/09/2013, 04:20 PM
I currently have the taotronic blue/white dimmable unit and have had it for a year and really like it. I also just had my reefbreeder which i purchased from the Group buy delivered yesterday and can say that the reefbreeder blows the Taotronics out of the water. Better build, better LED's, WAY quieter fans and an excellent price with a 2 year waranty.

Tenshoa
04/09/2013, 06:29 PM
Great info here guys. What model Reefbreeder?

pjb9166
05/02/2013, 08:17 PM
hi guys

I got the Taotronics dimmable al09 unit. I love it. I don't get what everyone is saying about the fans being loud. Mine are quite as anything, you cant even tell they are running. My stag horn, frog spawn Zoas, poclipora and squamosa seen to be doing great. I'm going to the show this weekend in Warwick RI. Plan is on getting some more SPS.
I'm thinking of setting up a second reef and will be getting Taotronics units again.

Paul

Ron Reefman
05/03/2013, 07:41 AM
EverGrow, Tao Tronics, SunSun and several other Chinese led sellers all manufacture the final product from parts they all buy from other manufacturers. My SunSun fixture looks EXACTLY the same as my EG D120 except it has no lenses. The TaoTronics is almost the same. So it's really easy for one manufacturer, say ToaTronics to see that EG is getting better reviews (quiet fans) and then spend all of 50 cents per fan to upgrade to the same fan EG uses. So these manufacturers all buy from the same suppliers and can change their products at the snap of a finger. So for me the issue is, who makes the better fixtures first and who does customer service, because they all cost about $160-$180. I'll stick with EverGrow (or Ocean Revive or Reef Breeders).

NathanMI
05/21/2013, 04:12 AM
What's the ocean revive!

Thank you for your help!

Roya320
07/19/2014, 11:50 PM
I have the tao tronics tt al 16
Works fine. Iam very happy. No problem with that lights

zombot
07/19/2014, 11:53 PM
I'd look into illumagic combo ray or try sniff out some second hand kessils

Owensue
07/20/2014, 01:05 AM
Look up ledzeal. I purchased the S300 customized and so far I'm impressed.

I've only had them a week and haven't cranked them up yet (on schedule) but they are very flexible for dimming, quiet, low heat (so far).

gREEF stricken
07/20/2014, 01:33 AM
I had some Tao's from old MJ grow and threw them over my 90 mixed reef and it's doin great

GS

pjb9166
07/21/2014, 12:32 PM
Going on two years for me. Everything is doing great.