PDA

View Full Version : Salt water mixing & storage

rite_eh
04/08/2013, 04:03 PM
Hello,

I am considering using a 330g tote as salt water storage to save on having to mix different salinity batches up frequently. I have 40g and 72g reef tanks, which use 1.025 and a 180g FOWLR running at 1.018. I figure this container should last me 3-5 months before it would need filling so there would be mixed salt water sitting in the container for that period of time.

I currently have a 60g plastic barrel which I use for water changes. This is located in my furnace room so in the winter water in here will heat up to 65 on its own. In the summer it can reach the same temperature as my tanks are running. I have a pump installed in this vat which connects to a hose in my tank room which is run to a tank being water-changed for refilling.

I am looking for any feedback on whether this sounds like a good/bad plan or if anyone can think of any problems that could arise from this procedure:

- Puchasing a 330g food safe tote and filling it with RO/DI water. This will be sealed and stored in my garage.
- Allowing the ambient air to heat this water up, depending on the season. I am in Vancouver, BC so most of the time I wil be paying to heat the water up.
- Heating the water to 77 and adding the necessary Instant Ocean salt to obtain a SG of 1.025 via 800w heaters on a controller.
- Mix the salt with several powerheads or a circulation pump installed in the tote.
- Once the water is mixed I will pump out either a full 60g into my current mixing container, or pump in some 1.025 salt water and dilute it with RO/DI to obtain a salinity of 1.018 to handle the next water change(s).
- The rest of the water in storage will be allowed to cool and circulation will be removed. When it is needed the 60g barrel will be refilled from the 330g tote.

How do others store mixed salt water and handle water changes of varying salinity? I add all salt by weight currently and find that bucket-to-bucket there can be variances in what is required.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Freddie83
04/08/2013, 04:12 PM
If you have the means to store that much water at once I think the decision is a no brainer. I would personally bring both tanks to the same salinity to cut down on time spent trying to get the salinity down for the FOWLR tank.

HermitTheCrab
04/08/2013, 04:18 PM
Well all sounds well to me. I store mine in 44gal brute food grade bins and have had no problems for the last 7 years. The key IMO is to stir the water periodically via a pump or power head as "stuff" starts to settle if left for awhile. Salt water keeps quite well but pure fresh kept too long can develop algae if not totally sealed.

my 0.02 cents.

HtC.

rite_eh
04/09/2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated.