PDA

View Full Version : 17 days post startup crash- time for CUC?

RMP
04/08/2013, 07:52 PM
I have a 29 gallon long tank with 30 lbs of live rock. I posted a few weeks ago about my tank crashing. I started my tank on 3/16 with 15 lb of rock and live sand. My LFS told me to use this "bacteria in a bottle" stuff on 3/18, wait 3 days, and I would be ready for fish. No ammonia or nitrites for 4 days, and I added an angler. Huge mistake. Had a big ammonia spike, lost him, and my tank crashed on 3/23.

I let the tank sit for a week, and added the additional 15 lbs of live rock on 3/30. No water changes since 3/24. I've had no ammonia and no nitrites since 3/25. My pH is 8.2, but my nitrates have climbed to 40. I had some brown algae going, but that is dissipating. Do I need a water change? Is it time to start adding a CUC? I added a current picture. Thanks!

davidjolene
04/08/2013, 08:12 PM
I would do a 10% water change. Will help knock your nitrates. And Im no expert but if you have an algae bloom I would say that you can add a clean up crew. And to me I wouldnt add any expensive fish until your have been up and going for atleast 6 weeks. I would try damsels or another cheap hardy fish thats just my opinion. I still remember to this day the dreaded wait after I started up my first tank it seemed to take forever.

MARINECRITTERS
04/08/2013, 08:20 PM
Your tank did not crash, it was just going through the cycle, typically it ends with an ammonia spike. Since your levels are looking fairly constant and I imagine you have a good colony of bacteria I would say go ahead with a clean up crew. A small water change could help with reducing some of the organic nutrient matter in the tank, from the die off of your live rock, was the rock cured?
Do not buy a damsel, it is cruel to use a fish as a test subject also a fish right now could possibly shock your system, I would wait another few weeks for fish.

RMP
04/08/2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the advice! The rock I bought was cured, I think? I'm going to add a small cleanup crew this weekend, after I do a 10% water change this tomorrow.

sasharotty
04/08/2013, 08:29 PM
Your tank did not crash, it was just going through the cycle

x2 on this. No crash just 1 dead fish from adding him before the tank was properly cycled. You can do a water change to knock down the nitrates. The brown dust your seeing is most likely diatoms and those to shall pass. You have to be patient and wait for the "uglies" to pass. And when you do add fish start very slow and do your homework on which ones you want to add. Good luck. And yeah add a cuc.