PDA

View Full Version : Is My Plan OK?

LJLKRL
04/09/2013, 08:17 AM
I am new here, and new to marine aquariums. I have had freshwater tanks most of my life.
I have a 55 gallon tank and I built a sump out of a 40 breeder.
I bought a Spectrapure RODI filter and have the tank and sump filled with filtered water an nothing else, it is just circulating through the tank and sump.
I just ordered some reef crystals and a hydrometer and a basic test kit.

My plan is to mix the reef crystals when I get them and let that water circulate until I can buy my live sand and live rock. Maybe a few weeks of just plain salt water until I add the live sand and live rock.

Is it ok to leave the tank circulating with nothing in it for that long or should I wait until I get the sand and rock and mix new RODI wanter and reef crystals up right before adding them?

I am doing this build as I get the cash, so that is why it is taking me some time to get it all together.

Thanks,
Larry

saltysailor2329
04/09/2013, 08:22 AM
I'd recommend buying a refractometer instead of a hydrometer as they are much more accurate.

As far as running the water there is no reason why you can't. It will also be easier to mix the salt with nothing else in the tank as well. Just dump salt in, turn on powerheads and let salt mix.

LJLKRL
04/09/2013, 08:34 AM
I'd recommend buying a refractometer instead of a hydrometer as they are much more accurate.

As far as running the water there is no reason why you can't. It will also be easier to mix the salt with nothing else in the tank as well. Just dump salt in, turn on powerheads and let salt mix.

I have read the refractometers are more accurate, but also on a budget for the moment, so I will have to use a hydrometer. I already have a 48" ecoxotic led strip and plan to get a reef octopus protein skimmer. The guy at the LFS told me I could wait on the skimmer until I put something that generates waste into the tank, but I will probably get it before I buy any fish.
I will probably get the refractometer when I get the rest of the test kit I need.

Palting
04/09/2013, 09:27 AM
Most people just don't put things together until they have the rocks, sand, salt, but your plan is fine. Running with plain RODI water will serve as a leak test and an equipment test. Make sure to do a power outage test as well simply by turning the power off, to make sure you have enough open reserve space in your sump to take the water overflow from your DT in case power does go out.

When you get your salt, calculate how much you need, then you can slowly dump the salt in the tank. Leave everything running for several hours, then check salinity. Although I do have one, I'm not a big fan of a hydrometer. How much accuracy do you really need? Swing arm is fine, salinity of anywhere from 1.025-1.027 is fine with my reef tank of over 3 years.

Keep an eye on water levels after you add the salt. Water will evaporate, and salinity will go up as water evaporates.

When you add the sand and rocks, keep an eye on water levels again. The sand and rock will add volume. If you don't compensate by removing similar volume of saltwater, you run the risk of overflowing your tank or sump.

LJLKRL
04/09/2013, 10:21 AM
Most people just don't put things together until they have the rocks, sand, salt, but your plan is fine. Running with plain RODI water will serve as a leak test and an equipment test. Make sure to do a power outage test as well simply by turning the power off, to make sure you have enough open reserve space in your sump to take the water overflow from your DT in case power does go out.

When you get your salt, calculate how much you need, then you can slowly dump the salt in the tank. Leave everything running for several hours, then check salinity. Although I do have one, I'm not a big fan of a hydrometer. How much accuracy do you really need? Swing arm is fine, salinity of anywhere from 1.025-1.027 is fine with my reef tank of over 3 years.

Keep an eye on water levels after you add the salt. Water will evaporate, and salinity will go up as water evaporates.

When you add the sand and rocks, keep an eye on water levels again. The sand and rock will add volume. If you don't compensate by removing similar volume of saltwater, you run the risk of overflowing your tank or sump.

That is kind of what I was thinking. Let it run and test the plumbing for a while before I buy anything alive. I already tested the power outage several times and marked my sump at normal running level, lowest level before I need to add more water, and power outage level. I have about 2 inches to spare in the sump without power so I am good for not overflowing.

Does it matter what order I add the live sand and rock? Seems like the sand should go first to help the rock stay put.

Cymonous
04/09/2013, 10:42 AM
It is recommended to put in rock first, then sand. This is so if you have any livestock that likes to dig, they won't make your rockwork fluctuate and/or fall over.

SushiGirl
04/09/2013, 10:43 AM
If you add sand first, make sure you push the rocks down into it so they're on the bottom of the tank to keep them from falling if/when sand is displaced under them.

LJLKRL
04/09/2013, 11:30 AM
ok, rock first. Makes sense when you mention digging the sand from under the rocks.

Unome
04/09/2013, 06:20 PM
Some people recommend putting a piece of egg crate on the bottom of the tank before your rock & sand is put in. You can get it at any home improvement supply store - Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

LJLKRL
04/10/2013, 06:27 AM
good idea, to protect the glass I guess?

shifty51008
04/10/2013, 07:44 AM
yes the egg crate is there to protect the glass, some people use it and others don't.