PDA

View Full Version : Niger Trigger not coming out the rocks

godspeed
04/09/2013, 08:54 AM
I have a mid size niger trigger and I never see it come out the rocks. I got him a few weeks ago along with 2 mid size angel fish. From the looks of it my bi color angel was attacked by my damsels I had in the tank. The reason I think the damsels did it is because they was acting real aggressive towards the angels. I removed the damsels.I have pictures if you search my last post. Any way when I first got the niger I did see it eat but it really never took advantage of the 150 gal tank I have staying low to the rocks. I rearranged the rocks so it could have some good caves so it will feel at home. I was wandering if it died so I move the rocks and there he was. I did at midnight check on it and I did see it moving with in the rock but not leaving the rock formation. Im not sure if its eating as right now I been trying to fee it brine shrimp not knowing if it even eat it or not. I dont think this is normal behavior for this niger. I did a check on ammonia just to see whats going on and it was at 0. salt level at 1.022 right now. Any ideas? I dont want it to starve.

sammy77
04/09/2013, 07:33 PM
I don't have any experience with the Niger, but my blue throat trigger was like this for a month and a half. I was certain he was not going to survive, I never saw him eat a thing and he spent all day hiding in a PVC elbow in QT. Well....that was 8 months ago.... He just struts around showing off in the DT now.

godspeed
04/09/2013, 11:38 PM
Sammy, that is good to hear. I seen him come out the rocks. What I did was soaked a shrimp in some garlic and put it on a long stainless steel rod. I put the shrimp in the rocks and I seen the wire rod moving. Then he came out the rocks a little. I tell you these fish are really teaching me how to be patient. LOL

humaguy
04/10/2013, 04:17 AM
nigers can be painfully shy trigs, this can be especially bad when they are in a new evironment...if a damsel is picking on it- that would further cause the trig to hunker down...

sammy77
04/10/2013, 05:21 AM
Sammy, that is good to hear. I seen him come out the rocks. What I did was soaked a shrimp in some garlic and put it on a long stainless steel rod. I put the shrimp in the rocks and I seen the wire rod moving. Then he came out the rocks a little. I tell you these fish are really teaching me how to be patient. LOL

They are awesome fish. Like Humaguy said, most are ridiculously shy. Except for my Pinktail. He ate like a PIG from day 1. I really wish I could add another Trigger, but I don't think it'd be a good idea.

godspeed
04/10/2013, 08:01 AM
Well he is beautiful and I want to show him off. I hope he snaps out of it. I will not add any other fish until he gets use to his new home.

godspeed
04/13/2013, 02:46 PM
Well My trigger is swimming sideways. something is not right. I put together a 10 gal quarantine tank because I see white spec spots and Im thinking it has ick. I moved him to the qt tank and during the move he died. SMH. I have to get better at this. I have a feeling I need to stop just introducing fish to my tank with out quarantining it first.

humaguy
04/13/2013, 03:09 PM
yes...qt, qt, qt....the best and simplest advice anyone can give...

godspeed
04/17/2013, 06:44 AM
Thanks humaguy, I do have a question. when I get a new fish and put it in the qt tank do i medicate the qt tank or just watch the fish.

humaguy
04/17/2013, 08:23 AM
I usually observe for a few days, maybe a week and then begin treating with Prazipro...

Jsamper
04/17/2013, 11:25 AM
I had trouble with mine being incredibly shy, might want to qt it if you haven't seen it come out at all.

sammy77
04/18/2013, 07:58 AM
I usually observe for a few days, maybe a week and then begin treating with Prazipro...

X2
This is exactly what I do with everyone of my fish.:fish2:

MrTuskfish
04/18/2013, 02:54 PM
Well My trigger is swimming sideways. something is not right. I put together a 10 gal quarantine tank because I see white spec spots and Im thinking it has ick. I moved him to the qt tank and during the move he died. SMH. I have to get better at this. I have a feeling I need to stop just introducing fish to my tank with out quarantining it first.

I love Nigers, and they're one of they cheapest fish I keep. Both are big adults and real up front fish, it took a while, though.

A QT regimen isn't just for catching parasites, disease, etc; its also a much easier way to adapt any fish to captivity. No bullies, mayhem, food competitors, etc.

I could understand a beginner not quarantining all new fish. But I'll never understand stand a hobbyist who knows about a QT and doesn't use it until its too late. I'm not saying this fish could be saved in a QT; but its quite possible. Now comes the process of probably having to cure all the fish in a QT. If the Niger had ich, your whole system has ich now. That could have been prevented with a QT.

MrTuskfish
04/18/2013, 02:56 PM
yes...qt, qt, qt....the best and simplest advice anyone can give...

For sure; and for some reason, the hardest advice to take.

CedzAquAddictio
04/18/2013, 03:20 PM
For sure; and for some reason, the hardest advice to take.

Agreed... Setting up a QT is not hard at all. Perhaps part of the problem with people QT'ing is patience. They want the fish in the DT now, and just take the risk. I'm tempted sometimes myself, but, end up QT'ing anyway.
Please trust me on this one people. That 30 QT will save you from a 9 week fallow period when the whole tank becomes infested more times than not.

Don't skip a 30 day QT, and end up with a completely empty DT for 9 weeks...

Best of luck!!!