PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so here I go... and ID please

pool guy
04/09/2013, 02:44 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger on my mantis. I'm currently upgrading my tank to a 125, and I am putting in a refugium in the sump and I thought I would have a mantis as its main resident.

However, I changed my mind. I thought it would be a shame to have him down in the sump, so I talked the gf into letting me do a pest tank next to the dt with the mantis as the center piece.

My local LFS get them in from time to time (mostly hitch hikers), and they knew of my plans. So I got a call yesterday telling me someone had brought one in for credit. I went up to the shop and saw the cutest little thing, and gave him/her a car ride to its new home.

I set up a 10 gallon I had laying around (will be plumbed into my system when done. I had a live rock (about 5 lbs) that had a majuano show up and was being a bi*ch to get off, so I put it in the new mantis tank along with some rubble rock and about an inch of so or sand.

He went in yesterday afternoon and disappeared into the rock (macro rock - lots and lots of holes). Today I got home from work with some treats for him hoping to coax him out. Much to my surprise, he was waiting for me with his head poked outta the top of the rock. He doesn't seem to skittish. I threw in a small turbo and a couple of small hermits (his snack). He has a den under the rock with 3 entrances. He came right out and grabbed a hermit, and away he went under the rock commencing to bash him to death.

He is only about an inch, maybe an inch and a half long and green in color.

Anyone have any idea on an ID ? I'm sooooo glad I set up a seperate tank !!!

pool guy
04/09/2013, 04:05 PM
I'm thinking G. Falcatus ?? But I could be wrong.....

Fartin'Gary
04/10/2013, 08:43 AM
I am guessing wennerae from the solid green color, purplish eyes, and what looks like a white meral spot.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=n_wennerae

pool guy
04/10/2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks Gary. Yeah, it was hard to tell from those fuzzy zoomed in cell pics. I'm gonna get out the camera today after work and get some better pics to post.

pool guy
04/10/2013, 03:19 PM
New pic.... he wasn't so photogenic today. I think his full belly had somthing to do with that. Yesterday evening he readily took a shrimp out of the forceps with no hesitation. I think I got lucky with someone else already having trained it ??

This is the best shot I could get today.

Meet GIDGET.....

pool guy
04/11/2013, 03:14 PM
I'm amazed at how intent he/she is on constructing the burrow. Been going at it all day today. I constructed a small pvc burrow system under some smaller rubble rock, and it wants nothing to do with it. Instead it decided to jackhammer the inside of the live rock, to enlarge her cavity. It has two main entrances, one up top / front of the rock, and another lower in the back. Both entrances get closed up at night.

Here is gidget's normal perching spot. Peeking out and watching what is going on.

pool guy
04/11/2013, 03:16 PM
I still need to get a macro lense for the camera. The lense magnifiers are just not cutting the mustard !!!! Anyone have any suggestions? I have a Nikon 3100.

Islandoftiki
04/11/2013, 03:36 PM
I get the best pictures with my smartphone. I have a top of the line non-DSLR that can't hold a candle to my phone when it comes to aquarium pics. Either an iPhone or a good Android smartphone will have a good enough camera to take reasonable aquarium pictures. One advantage with phone cameras is the way they focus. They look for sharpness of the pictures as opposed to using an actual range finder that gets all mucked up my the tank glass/water.

All of these pictures were taking with my Galaxy S3 or iPhone: http://s135.photobucket.com/user/circuitweed/library/Gonodactylaceus%20ternatensis%20mantis%20shrimp

pool guy
04/11/2013, 03:52 PM
Wow, those are crazy good pics! I have an iphone and tried to take some with it but gave up. Maybe I'll try some more.

Thanks for the input. Glad to know someone is reading my ramblings..... haha

Islandoftiki
04/11/2013, 04:10 PM
Wow, those are crazy good pics! I have an iphone and tried to take some with it but gave up. Maybe I'll try some more.

Thanks for the input. Glad to know someone is reading my ramblings..... haha

If you're taking pictures of things that aren't moving, I found the app Pro HDR gave me the best color and dynamic range, which is hard to get with the crazy lighting we have on these tank. Pro HDR takes a couple pictures at different exposures and blends them together, then it lets you adjust contrast, saturation and color so you can make it look like what your eyes see. Or at least pretty close. I have the same app for my Galaxy S3 and it's not quite as good as it is for the iPhone. Because it takes two pictures in succession, you have to hold the phone very still and your target can't be moving much. I have a tripod mount for my phone.

Islandoftiki
04/11/2013, 04:13 PM
Here's an example of what the Pro HDR app does... These two pics were taken with my iPhone (this is my freshwater tank at work).

Left: regular camera app, right: Pro HDR.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q144/circuitweed/Random/1B88A474.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/circuitweed/media/Random/1B88A474.jpg.html)