PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Tunze Skimmer 9430 water level

haynesw
04/10/2013, 07:46 AM
I recently installed my Tunze 9430 skimmer. I cannot seem to get it adjusted so that water is not constantly flowing out of the "overfoam hole." The skimmer is in water that is 5" deep. I slid the post filter ring about 1" below the top of the outflow pipe but this has not helped (didn't really expect it to). My skimmer has not produced skimmate yet (which isn't really a problem since its new).

I attached a couple photos of the skimmer setup and running.

Please help ASAP.

Thank you.

rvitko
04/10/2013, 09:02 AM
Is this a new set up? i.e. new saltwater? If so, this response would be normal, any surfactant substance that would in most skimmers cause the cup to quickly fill with water, will trigger this antioverfoam function. Suspended sediments, colloids, stress coats, dechlorinators, vitamins and amino acids are all common culprits, most salt mixes contain one or more of these.

haynesw
04/10/2013, 09:25 AM
Yes, it is a new setup for the most part. Its all new water, in a new stock tank (its for temporary holding), with old live rock.

I'll give it a few days and see if it continues. I was thinking that maybe I had to cut the output pipe to lower the water level in the skimmer.

Thanks.

rvitko
04/10/2013, 10:15 AM
I would not cut the output pipe, as I mentioned in reply to your PM, worst case I would bypass the anti overfoam for the time being.

haynesw
04/10/2013, 10:20 AM
Got the PM. Thank you. I think I'll just let everything be for a week and then reassess. The water coming out of the overfoam hole is just a little annoying and not worth correcting if it will workout on its own in a week - the skimmer appears to working otherwise. I'll update you.

Thank you very much.

rvitko
04/10/2013, 10:30 AM
Maybe I misunderstood, some water will always exit that hole. It is only in anti overfoam mode when it looks like a faucet running and all of the hole is a full stream of water. If the annoyance is splash and noise, swivel the filter bag to catch it. In normal operation, only a slow trickle will drain from this hole.

haynesw
04/11/2013, 07:54 AM
Everything has already settled in. Excellent skimmer! It hasn't been running 24 hrs and its already produced some good skimmate. Water is now an extremely tiny trickle out of the overfoam hole.

Is there anything that I can do to reduce/eliminate splashing at the postfilter bag?

Thanks.

rvitko
04/11/2013, 08:17 AM
Raising the holder for the bag up the pipe so it is nearly flush with the top will help as will slightly raising the water level in the sump if possible, but keep in mind raising the water level will require so more adjusting of the skimmer, it will skim wetter at a higher water level.