PDA

View Full Version : Micro Bubbles - New to Plumbing

jmifland
04/10/2013, 09:12 AM
I have a 90G RR AGA that is currently going through the cycle. The overflow is plumbed immediately into a 90 degree bend and then travels a couple inches to another 90 degree bend and then goes into the filter sock. During the leak test everything was running fine and it all appeared to be fine. Once I changed out the water and added the salt water it started to produce a substantial amount of micro bubbles. These micro bubbles are now greatly numbered and are appearing in the DT making it look cloudy.

I have a MAG12 as the return pump and I'm not sure if I need to dial it back or if the 90 degree PVC bends are causing the problem. I was told to switch to 45 degree bends for better water flow but was too lazy to start cutting more pipe. Would the cause of the micro bubbles be one of these two things?

Either too much flow or too many direction changes before hitting the sump.

Cymonous
04/10/2013, 09:30 AM
Are there a lot of micro bubbles in your sump? Do you have your skimmer running?

jmifland
04/10/2013, 09:32 AM
It is going through the cycle so the skimmer is not running at this time. The micro bubbles are overflowing over the sock and into the sump. Then they are going through all the chambers and being shot into the DT but they are very fine. There are just so many of them they are are making the DT look cloudy. Amost as if sand is being stirred up but I am looking at the sand and it isn't being moved around.

Cymonous
04/10/2013, 09:43 AM
Is your sock clean? I'm not sure the bends would cause the bubbles. The bends actually slow down the flow if anything. Do you have a valve on your drain?

jmifland
04/10/2013, 09:53 AM
I have the sock out right now and it is still making the micro bubbles but they are all over the water and not just on top. I only have a valve on the MAG12 as I was reading that the return that comes with the RR tanks only takes around 700 GPH but it handles all the flow from the MAG12 without a problem.

I would think that the bends would stir up the water which would cause bubbles to form much like when you shake a bottle of gatorade. Water itself won't make that many bubbles but since the salt is mixed in I figured it is aiding in the bubble stir up. With the 45 degree angles it would give the water a more direct path down the overflow and into the sock rather than having to make a sudden direction change.

I just didn't want to replace the plumbing if someone knew for a fact that wasn't the issue.

LJLKRL
04/10/2013, 11:18 AM
Is your water level high enough in the sump so the return pump is not sucking air?

jmifland
04/10/2013, 11:23 AM
The bubbles aren't originating from the pump. They are coming through the overflow. The water line is plenty high above the pump as to avoid the sound of sucking air which can damage the pump.

I think it is stir-up from the 90 degree water change.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

DavidinGA
04/10/2013, 12:20 PM
What kind of drain are you using? Durso? Herbie?

???

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Tapatalk 2

Deinonych
04/10/2013, 12:33 PM
Does your drain exit below the water line in your sump? Maybe post pictures so we can get a better idea of how you have it plumbed.

jmifland
04/10/2013, 12:40 PM
I have a Trigger Systems Crystal 30 sump and I have the PVC going through the hole and into the sock below the water line. It was not an issue with fresh water but has become an issue with the addition of the salt water.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/qmcsy.klydq/v/vspfiles/photos/aqueon001-2.jpg?1358431175

The above link is to the type of overflow that I have. It is the back plumbing pieces that come with a Reef Ready aquarium.

Edit: There is a small piece at the top of the overflow pipe that allows air to be drawn in to keep the suction. The water comes through both the overhang and 3-4 holes in the pvc that is around the same level as the overhanging tube. It will automatically start the siphon if I were to turn the return pump off and then turn it back on.

skinsfan1
04/10/2013, 12:54 PM
I have the same Mega over flow kit. My drain hose goes deep into my sump. I use a Mag 7 for the return. I have no micro bubbles

jmifland
04/10/2013, 12:57 PM
I have a drain hose as well but it is way too long and I need room to keep the skimmer in chamber 1. I think it is the PVC bends that I have but no one seems to say anything about the bends being a problem. Aside from that I don't really understand what the issue would be aside from turbulent stir up while on the way down. There is no sound of sucking air so I know it isn't the return pump or the overflow pipe itself.

jmifland
04/10/2013, 02:25 PM
Could it be that the MAG12 is putting out too much water which is forcing the overflow to siphon more water than it should be removing? I originally had a Deep Blue 850 GPH pump during the leak test because the MAG12 got lost in shipping. The overflow was creating a beach type effect because it was siphoning water faster than the Deep Blue could put into the tank. It would break siphon and fill the overflow compartment and then restart the siphon which sounded much like waves breaking on a beach. It was a soothing sound. I may just switch the pump and see if the fixes the problem.

skinsfan1
04/10/2013, 02:34 PM
Does it actually siphon? Mine just sort of flows down throught my drain hose. My drain hose id is 1 1/4 so there is air in there. I was told that the mag 7 was the right amount of flow for that particular drain system. I believe it drains about 600gph. So, yes I think that maybe an issue but not sure bout the bubbles.

jmifland
04/10/2013, 02:41 PM
Is your return not loud? I would think that if it was just running down the return pipe it would create a lot of noise compared to being siphoned down. I know that the overflow kit can only handle so much or the tank will overflow but I don't have the MAG12 (1200GPH) throttled down and the water remains level in the tank and sump at all times. The siphon is clearly removing water at the same rate that the MAG12 is returning. I just can't seem to figure out where the micro bubbles are coming from.

Deinonych
04/10/2013, 02:43 PM
You may not be getting a full siphon on your drain(s). You might want to look at the Herbie or BeanAnimal overflow designs (just Google them or search the DIY forums). I have an Eheim 1262 return pump, which is similar to the Mag 12. I get great flow and full siphon through my sump without any micro-bubbles. Another advantage to the above-mentioned designs is that they are extremely quiet.

bighead
04/10/2013, 02:45 PM
I pretty much had the same system mag 12 durso overflow with sump and sock filter I changed over to a herbie style overflow with an emergency drain and moved my return plumbing I now have now bubbles nor do I need the filter sock

the herbie overflow IMO is a bit better little pain to adjust but once done its done there are many threads check them out

MrClam
04/10/2013, 02:45 PM
Id switch to herbie overflow. Eliminates microbubble issue and the splashing/salt creep that can come from durso. I set up a durso for about 2 weeks during my cycle and the sound of water crashing into the sump was maddening. It just seems like the herbie is an all around better design, and worth the effort for the peace and quiet. The loudest thing on my tank now are the ATI powermodule fans.

jmifland
04/10/2013, 02:49 PM
I don't get the water crashing sound as the PVC is placed below the water line. Another person also said that they have the same kit and using a much smaller pump and not getting any micro bubbles. Is there a kit that can be purchased for the herbie system? I don't want to drill any holes into the aquarium as that is the reason I got the RR so that I wouldn't have to risk busting the glass during a drill.

From doing some google image searching it appears the the only thing I would need to do is remove the overflow kit and just place a short straight pive of pvc pipe into the bulkhead. Just eliminating the elbow that the water is siphoned through.