PDA

View Full Version : Is my light strong enough for soft coral?

JacoboWM
04/10/2013, 07:03 PM
so i recently bought this light fixture, its called Deep Blue SolarMax HE Double T5 with moonlight LEDs. It has (1) 10,000k Daylight Lamp (1)Actinic-03 Lamp and 8 Blue LEDs.

I am not new to keeping just fish but i do not have much experience with corals and things. I just dont want to spend my money if its gonna die.

biecacka
04/10/2013, 07:08 PM
What size tank?
Corey

JacoboWM
04/10/2013, 07:15 PM
im sorry i completely forgot to put that. its a 55 gallon. 48 inches long, and about 20 inches deep

Mark Bianco
04/10/2013, 07:19 PM
Any low light coral should be fine Look on Live Aquaria and see what corals you like that have a low light requirement.

Mushrooms, Leathers and some polyps are fine.

Mark

Michigan Mike
04/10/2013, 07:23 PM
4x54w T5HO is better, trust me.
At least use good bulbs like ATI,KZ, or GIESSEMAN regardlessu until you upgrade...and you will.

JacoboWM
04/10/2013, 07:28 PM
cause i went to a pet store and in their reef tank they have the same fixture i do. im assuming the same bulbs. but that tank isnt as deep as mine. so those bulbs that Michigan Mike fit into my fixture? leathers? like toadstool?

GrampaDon
04/10/2013, 08:30 PM
toadstool or leather's wont do well without more light, but they might still live.
Better just get a 4 bulb light if buying something new.
Then most softy's and many LPS will be fine.

squishifishi
04/10/2013, 09:08 PM
palys and mushrooms are the best low light corals imo. mylfs keeps them in an un-lit tankand they still grow. You can find some really nice colors too. good luck!

Michigan Mike
04/11/2013, 01:52 AM
If its a 48" t5HO , the bulbs are actually a couple inches shorter but they are standard sizes.

Mushrooms may live well enough but a toadstool leather will need strong lighting, they can handle huge amounts of lighting and benefit from it too. They quickly become a great coral & one of my personal favorites in my tanks.

4x54w T5HO with good bulbs like ATI,KZ,GIESSEMAN and you are good to go as long as you place coral properly.

Michigan Mike
04/11/2013, 01:56 AM
I don't think you have T5HO. I think you have normal output T5 , check your wattage on the bulbs. If they aren't 54w for a 48" bulb its not T5High Output, which is no beuno.

pkirby
04/11/2013, 05:52 AM
If its T5HO then I believe you'll be fine with soft corals... Possibly LPS. If you do upgrade to a 4 bulb T5HO fixture, I ran one on a 75 gallon and grew acropora well in the top half of the tank, LPS well at the bottom. I actually was bleaching some montipora until I moved it lower in the tank. A lot has to do with water quality. I think a lot of times we are throwing more light than is really needed at our corals. Just my 2c

jabbott
04/11/2013, 07:08 AM
yup that is a normal t5 fixture not t5ho. That is basically just for fish.
You need to buy a 4 bulb t5ho to keep coral.
Your light will not work.

JacoboWM
04/11/2013, 07:16 AM
thank you everyone. i really appriciate it. i guess i need a bigger bulb lol. you guys have been much help. ill keep everyone updated on the progress.

Michigan Mike
04/11/2013, 07:30 AM
thank you everyone. i really appriciate it. i guess i need a bigger bulb lol. you guys have been much help. ill keep everyone updated on the progress.

You need different ballasts, bulbs, basically everything. I would take it back and tell them they misguided you for your needs/tank.

JacoboWM
04/11/2013, 08:14 AM
well i told them that eventually i wanted to do corals after i do the research and all that. so they recommended me that light fixture because its a fish only tank right now and this fixture lights my tank up so much better then the bulbs i had before. right now im just doing research and all that. i just wanted to get some opionions in case i didnt have to get a bigger bulb. right now im in class so i cant test my water and put up the results but it should be fine, the tank has been up for about 2 years now, and i believe all my fish are reef safe. One spot foxface, desjardini sailfin, yellowtail damsel, marroon clown and a purple dottyback.

do you think i should maybe get a mushroom frag for like 10 bucks and see how it does. i can always move it over to my friends reef if it doesnt do so good...

JacoboWM
04/11/2013, 08:15 AM
palys and mushrooms are the best low light corals imo. mylfs keeps them in an un-lit tankand they still grow. You can find some really nice colors too. good luck!

smart to follow?

Michigan Mike
04/11/2013, 09:16 AM
well i told them that eventually i wanted to do corals after i do the research and all that. so they recommended me that light fixture because its a fish only tank right now and this fixture lights my tank up so much better then the bulbs i had before. right now im just doing research and all that. i just wanted to get some opionions in case i didnt have to get a bigger bulb. right now im in class so i cant test my water and put up the results but it should be fine, the tank has been up for about 2 years now, and i believe all my fish are reef safe. One spot foxface, desjardini sailfin, yellowtail damsel, marroon clown and a purple dottyback.

do you think i should maybe get a mushroom frag for like 10 bucks and see how it does. i can always move it over to my friends reef if it doesnt do so good...

Okay I understand.

Ya your fish are fine for corals but your lighting isn't. You can try mushrooms & coral that don't need light but they are pretty tricky to keep thriving.

I would upgrade your lighting if your serious about coral.

JacoboWM
04/11/2013, 10:57 AM
I'm pretty serious lol. I'll try a small frag and see how it does. A lfs by me sells single mushrooms on little rocks. I guess I'll try one and hope for the best.