PDA

View Full Version : tank ok without skimmer?

natebedwell06
04/10/2013, 07:21 PM
redoing the plumbing on my tank and need to shut down the sump/skimmer for 24 hours, is this going to be ok? powerheads will continue to run and everything will be back up and running tomorrow night, will there be a problem with this? only 2 small fish in the tank

drew2007
04/10/2013, 07:22 PM
redoing the plumbing on my tank and need to shut down the sump/skimmer for 24 hours, is this going to be ok? powerheads will continue to run and everything will be back up and running tomorrow night, will there be a problem with this? only 2 small fish in the tank

Yes you will be fine. I've gone days with it off without any issues.

HumbleFish
04/10/2013, 07:35 PM
Yes you will be fine. I've gone days with it off without any issues.

+1 If there's going to be any water left in the sump (that will be pumped back into the tank 24 hrs later), run a powerhead down there to keep it circulating.

FlyPenFly
04/10/2013, 07:36 PM
Depends now much your rely on it, I've read about tank crashes from a malfunctioning skimmer, I think it was a tank of the month.

jerpa
04/10/2013, 07:38 PM
I could see a malfunction draining the sump and triggering a salinity swing but if your tank can't survive a few weeks without a skimmer, let alone overnight, I think you have bigger problems.

MARINECRITTERS
04/10/2013, 08:46 PM
It will be fine, with the amount of waste produced there will not be enough time for mass amounts of nitrogenous waste to form, once the skimmer is hooked back in it should remove undissolved organics as usual. Anything else down there? like a calcium reactor?