PDA

View Full Version : What is this?!

candywren
04/10/2013, 08:42 PM
We have had our 20gal tank for just over a year now. When we first got it we saw a tiny little sea flower.. or so we thought... growing out of our live rock. And over time it has gotten bigger. Yesterday we introduced 3 turbo snails into the tank and one was on the rock with the "flower". Well today,as we were looking at the tank, we noticed that the "flower" was gone. We just assumed that something touched it and it retracted! Anyway a few minutes later we saw it hitching a ride on one of the snails backs. After an hour of riding around the tank, the "flower" attached itself back onto the rock! We have never seen this thing move before... other than retracting! We had no idea that it could detach and reattach itself. Does anyone know what this is. I have googled for hours.. with no results. It is not even the size of a dime!! It has a tiny clearish looking "foot"!!

Thank you!!!!
Candy

danmgray
04/10/2013, 08:50 PM
It is probably an aiptasia. Also known as a glass anenome. They are generally considered pests because they can reproduce quickly in the right conditions, are difficult to get rid of and will sting other corals.

MARINECRITTERS
04/10/2013, 08:56 PM
it is an aiptasia. Also known as a glass anenome. They are generally considered pests because they can reproduce quickly in the right conditions, are difficult to get rid of and will sting other corals.

+1

candywren
04/10/2013, 09:29 PM
Is it normal for it to just start moving? And there has only been one this whole time. Is it going to get larger? Is it going to hurt the snails in anyway riding on them that way? If/when it happens again I will definitely snap a picture. It was so surprising and amusing!!

bnumair
04/10/2013, 09:39 PM
its aptaisia and best not to touch it or irritate it or else it will spawn and multiply like crazy. if u can take the rock out and burn the infected area with a lighter and rinse the rock in saltwater then back into the tank. do take care of it soon as possible.

davidjolene
04/10/2013, 09:47 PM
looks to be aptasia get it before it spreads like mad

bjm1287
04/10/2013, 10:42 PM
lots of threads on here to deal with it, asap in my opinion, they can be tricky little bastards