PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Issue Found?

jvr1102
04/11/2013, 09:58 AM
Hello Everybody-

I have been struggling with slow flow out of my RO/DI from the beginning. I tried every suggestion possible and still get about 5 gallons of good water every two days. Some of the suggested issues but not limited to was water to cold out of the faucet, bad membrane, pressure etc etc.

Finally for whatever reason I just now only disassembled the membrane housing by removing the elbows on the waste water and the good water line. I found a check valve or flow restrictor on the good water line. Could this thing be the issue? Is this supposed to be in there? could it be bad?

Thanks227427

telijah
04/11/2013, 10:37 AM
A flow restrictor is supposed to be on the waste line. I guess when you say "good water" line, that is your "product" line, the line where the water you'll actually use comes out? I have nothing in my product line from the di resin.

howaboutme
04/11/2013, 11:00 AM
Some manufacturer's put a check valve after the RO, some don't. The check valve is there to prevent back flow if you end up using a auto shut off valve. To get an idea of what I'm talking about, look at BRS for their ASOV kit. It'll explain it more. So if it IS a check valve, it's fine.

jvr1102
04/11/2013, 12:16 PM
Some manufacturer's put a check valve after the RO, some don't. The check valve is there to prevent back flow if you end up using a auto shut off valve. To get an idea of what I'm talking about, look at BRS for their ASOV kit. It'll explain it more. So if it IS a check valve, it's fine.

So wait the check valve should be on the waste water line? Not the line going to the resin?...If that is the case woohoo thats my issue! Maybe....

howaboutme
04/11/2013, 12:30 PM
So wait the check valve should be on the waste water line? Not the line going to the resin?...If that is the case woohoo thats my issue! Maybe....

Sorry I wasn't clear. The check valve will be after the RO going TO the DI, not the waste.

My 90 deg fitting was not a check valve so I had to put one in downstream in order to install the asov.

jvr1102
04/11/2013, 12:40 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. The check valve will be after the RO going TO the DI, not the waste.

My 90 deg fitting was not a check valve so I had to put one in downstream in order to install the asov.

ahhh ok....thanks problem not fixed. 2 gallons a day won't cut it

jvr1102
04/11/2013, 12:50 PM
So if I had a 75GPD unit and my flow restrictor was 100GPD would that cause low RO/DI water production?

telijah
04/11/2013, 01:22 PM
It would definitely affect it, but I do not think it would cause it to only be 2 gallons a day. Shoot, even with low pressure, I was generating almost one gallon when I had my 25gpd membrane.

jvr1102
04/11/2013, 01:27 PM
It would definitely affect it, but I do not think it would cause it to only be 2 gallons a day. Shoot, even with low pressure, I was generating almost one gallon when I had my 25gpd membrane.

Dont rub it in!:sad2:

I cannot figure out the problem it definitely is plumbed correctly, I even warmed up the water coming into it by letting the line run through a bucket of 75 degree water and I get 50 on the pressure gauge after the membrane...changed the filters, resin, membrane several times.....stumped!

howaboutme
04/11/2013, 02:01 PM
So what brand is this and what is your pressure gauge reading? You need to be at least 40psi to do anything.

jvr1102
04/11/2013, 04:39 PM
So what brand is this and what is your pressure gauge reading? You need to be at least 40psi to do anything.

I get 45-48 on the gauge before my membrane...

woohooo....The flow restrictor was the cause of all my headaches for the last year. I changed it to the correct one and boom...Made 5 gallons of RODI in just about two hours....4$ piece of plastic. Unreal.

telijah
04/12/2013, 07:53 AM
Glad you got it worked out!