PDA

View Full Version : hydor korallia evo 1400

pdfrogman
04/11/2013, 10:06 AM
junk! they rattle like no tomorrow for 2 seconds when they start up they are NOT controllable as they say :headwalls:

as far as they their customer service lets be nice and just say there is lots to be desired. :furious:

if you are looking for a pump that just moves water these may be all right but that's it.

psyrob
04/11/2013, 12:33 PM
I have to agree...I posted yesterday on my frustration with evo 1050s...the problem I have is the front grill is so fragile, that the bumper that makes the propeller spin the right way keeps breaking off: sometimes after only two weeks...that makes the pump worthless. They did handle the 30 sec on/off cycle my controller had them on, but the bumper/front grill could not handle that. I am saving up for Tunze and calling it a day...

pdfrogman
04/15/2013, 05:26 PM
2 weeks ago I called Hydor they did not pick up the phone. I emailed them and was very specific explaining the problems, told them I checked the bumper, impeller was seated properly. 2 days later they emailed me back with reply "they all click."
apparently they didn't read my email it was a rattle, I wrote back and addressed the problem again and did not hear back from them.
Today I get an email stating that they are factory tested and I can ship it back to them(at my cost) and they will look at it.

Really? :thumbdown

first and last Hydor purchase I make as soon as my WP40 gets here I am going throw these pumps away! :furious:

pkirby
04/15/2013, 06:48 PM
Replace it with sicce voyager. Priced similar to hydors, dead silent, adjustable flow... I'm very happy with mine!

I have no experience with the wp40 or wp25 but they seem to be good pumps as well at a great price and offer more control than just on/off

sirreal63
04/15/2013, 07:04 PM
It is usually best to research a product to know what to expect. You can't really go from online reviews from a vender, but searching here or even asking would have let you know they are not really designed for an off and on use. I have an original K4 from when they were first released and it still works as well as it ever did. I am sorry yu had to learn the hard way but A/C prop pumps by design are not suitable for on and off use.

pdfrogman
04/15/2013, 07:19 PM
It is usually best to research a product to know what to expect. You can't really go from online reviews from a vender, but searching here or even asking would have let you know they are not really designed for an off and on use. I have an original K4 from when they were first released and it still works as well as it ever did. I am sorry yu had to learn the hard way but A/C prop pumps by design are not suitable for on and off use.
I had them set 6 hours apart, I wasn't trying to make them a wave maker
they are very quiet once they are running seem to move enough water but on intial start up they rattle and crackle
I sold my controllable tunze with my 450 I had zero problems with them

sirreal63
04/15/2013, 07:24 PM
The interval doesn't matter, it's an A/C pump and can start in either direction, so they put the bump stop to cause it to reverse direction if it is spinning the wrong way. It is unfortunate but the way it is with all A/C prop pumps. There is of course no comparison to a controllable Tunze. No doubt Hydor Koralias are not hi end equipment, but they do work as long as you don't try to start and stop them. I understand the frustration but it is what it is.

pdfrogman
04/15/2013, 07:32 PM
The interval doesn't matter, it's an A/C pump and can start in either direction, so they put the bump stop to cause it to reverse direction if it is spinning the wrong way. It is unfortunate but the way it is with all A/C prop pumps. There is of course no comparison to a controllable Tunze. No doubt Hydor Koralias are not hi end equipment, but they do work as long as you don't try to start and stop them. I understand the frustration but it is what it is.

I hear ya
Thanks

psyrob
04/15/2013, 10:54 PM
One thing is that hydro markets the evos as being able to handle the frequent on/off cycles, they push their smart wave thing to do just that. I believed them and found out this design just doesn't hold up...saving my dollars for tunze now, caveat emptor!

pdfrogman
04/15/2013, 10:57 PM
One thing is that hydro markets the evos as being able to handle the frequent on/off cycles, they push their smart wave thing to do just that. I believed them and found out this design just doesn't hold up...saving my dollars for tunze now, caveat emptor!

junk

shesacharmer
07/12/2014, 10:41 AM
I bought two 1500's with the wave maker and one powerhead rattles but the other does not. I read somewhere if you shave down the bumper it stops...but I'm not sure I want to do that. I didn't even know about this place when I bought my gear I just believed their marketing saying their Smartwave worked with any instant on/off pump.