PDA

View Full Version : Prime in an SPS reef.

kaserpick
04/11/2013, 04:48 PM
I use Bulk Reef Supply's 4 stage RO + DI system with the Chloramine filter set (not sure if that makes a difference). My TDS reads 0.0 after the DI, but the meter isn't super high quality, I'm sure.

I don't have an issue with Nitrates; I keep them low with regular water changes. I know that Prime could possibly meddle with Nitrate test kit readings, but that's not my concern.

I'm worried that a small amount of Chlorine or Chloramines could be getting past the system and into my tank. If this is the case, would Prime be ok to dose in my ATO reservoir (when I fill it) and my new water for WC's?

My big concern is that I dose bacteria and vodka as well. Will the Prime mess with these additions? Thanks in advance!

bnumair
04/11/2013, 05:04 PM
check for ammonia. if ur rodi water has any chlorine or chloramine it will show up as ammonia. also ina study conducted by Randy even a regular ro/di unit (non chloramine type) blocked any chloramine from getting through even with filters as old as almost 1 yr old.

kaserpick
04/11/2013, 05:15 PM
Ammonia is 0, but that's a cheap API kit. I think I'm good there.

I read that article; I forgot that Randy showed that. Thanks!

bnumair
04/11/2013, 05:32 PM
ur welcome.
good luck and safe reefing.

bertoni
04/11/2013, 10:18 PM
The Prime shouldn't hurt anything. :)

kaserpick
04/12/2013, 02:44 AM
Awesome! I appreciate you chiming in, Jonathan! That makes me feel a lot more comfortable. :)

bertoni
04/12/2013, 01:53 PM
You're welcome!