PDA

View Full Version : ATO Shutoff (safety)

jackers
04/11/2013, 08:49 PM
Two nights ago, I filled my 4 gallon ATO reservoir. Went to work the next day, and around 10:00 am I received a text saying my ATO reservoir was empty. I quickly looked at my history on my iphone and saw my ATO was on for almost two hours. Needless to say, I dumped the 4 gallons all over the floor.

I came home and sure enough, I had a dwarf cerith snail lodged in my sump's float switch, preventing it from "opening" and shutting of the ATO.

I heard you can run a second switch as a safety. I also heard putting code in that shuts the ATO pump off after, say, 10 minutes.

What do you guys recommend?

aquamanic
04/12/2013, 07:10 AM
Do both if you want. I do. The second switch since it's out of the water normally, is very reliable but belts and suspenders.

jackers
04/12/2013, 08:32 AM
Do both if you want. I do. The second switch since it's out of the water normally, is very reliable but belts and suspenders.

I think I'll do that, plus I'm going to add a Neptune leak sensor. I woke up this morning and sure enough, another snail stuck in the float switch (how are all these snails getting into my sump?!) and a few more gallons on the floor. My wife is going to kill me if I don't get this fixed ASAP.

Can anyone help with the code? I would like my ATO to shut off after 20 minutes and send me a text if it does stay on for the entire 20.

And for the high level shutoff, I use horizontal float switches. Should the top switch be "normally close" or "normally open"? I'm thinking it should be normally open (gravity pulling the float down) and when the water level rises, it closes the circuit shutting down the ATO.

aquamanic
04/12/2013, 08:42 AM
there's examples of what you want to do in the back of the Comp Ref Manual available on Neptune's site along with the logic of how they work so you can modify if needed.

You can get snail proof floats with little guards on them.

You want to orient any float switch so that OPEN = OFF. If your breakout box gets disconnected or a wire pulls out, the switch state in the controller goes OPEN. So you don't want OPEN to be doing anything. OPEN should = STOP or OFF. In your case, I'd orient it so that it's NC and OPEN is the exception.

firewill65
08/18/2013, 05:30 PM
Lol...I've already replaced my bedroom carpet...now I'm replacing the laminate wood floor with porcelain wood look a like tile! I'm just getting my Neptune controller set up with the leak detectors as well!