PDA

View Full Version : Soul's 100 Gallon Nano Reef

Soulheal
04/12/2013, 01:42 PM
Hello everyone, I have been keeping fish since I was 10 and am now 24 years old. In those years I have kept most types, possibly all (jk) of freshwater fish and have bred many different species. I worked in a fish store for years, did a stint at a fish hatchery during college, and have bred African cichlids semi-commercially. During all of these tanks I have never once had a saltwater tank! I've kept them for the store I used to work at and did set-up and maintenance for some of the customers, but never my own personal tank.

That ends today.

I present my very first saltwater aquarium.

This aquarium was inspired by the robertus reeef. I saw it once and had to have it. Looked at the bank account and decided perhaps to have a more budget friendly version of that system.

I've been working towards this goal since around Christmas of last year. I started doing my research, buying pieces and parts, building what i could. What you are about to see is the fruits of my labor and love. This tank isn't near completed, but I'm already in love with it.

The goal is a nano style tank within a large area. Minimalistic rock work with each piece individually chosen and placed. The focus will be mainly mixed corals (leaning on mostly sps though) and a few select fish. My tentative fish stocking list goes something like this:
Kole Tang
4-5 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
2 gold-stripe maroon clowns
A handful of benggai cardinals

The aquarium itself is a 75 gallon (standard dimensions) which I've drilled to use the beananimal overflow system. The sump is only a 20 long but I have plans to upgrade in the future. The sump contains the protein skimmer, uv sterillizer, heater, and fluval sea return pump. I will be running 4 hoT5's and moonlights - 2 actinics and two whites. I decided on only 4 bulbs because of how the rockwork will be within the tank. The lights will be directly over the coral growth area.

I'll keep updating as the tank progresses. Let me know your thoughts and ideas. Thanks!

I just added saltwater today and am dialing in the overflow so it's a work in progress but hopefully soon it will be up and growing.

Soulheal
04/12/2013, 01:43 PM
Homemade pretzel rolls to entice helpers to come. Worked.

Soulheal
04/12/2013, 01:45 PM
And the build continues...

Soulheal
04/12/2013, 01:47 PM
Almost caught up...

Soulheal
04/12/2013, 01:50 PM
And this brings me to where the tank was this morning. Now I am off to wire a switch into the stand for shutting off the return pump. Enjoy and thanks for any comment or advice. Again, this is my first salt build so I am still learning but I think the tank is going in the right direction.

Cymonous
04/12/2013, 02:15 PM
Looking good! What other equipment are you using? Skimmer, return, heater, etc?

Soulheal
04/12/2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks, so far I'm running:

Return Pump - http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/water-pumps/fluval-sea-sp2-sump-pump.html

Protein Skimmer - http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/protein-skimmer/won-cu-200-protein-skimmer.html

And just an ebo 200 watt heater I had laying around in its box.

I've got an auto-top off unit I will be installing tomorrow hopefully.

I couldn't find any real reviews on the skimmer but for the price I thought i would try it out. I plan on building a new one anyway, this one just gives me practice on learning the important parts and operations for protein skimming. It is driven by a 600gph pump.

I have two 3200 gph circulation pumps on order also to help increase flow in tank.