PDA

View Full Version : Anthias won't eat pellets

kupadupapupa
04/12/2013, 05:51 PM
Those of you who keep anthias and have an auto feeder, what food do you use in the feeder? My anthias won't eat the nls pellets that I feed, they only eat frozen foods that I have.

What would be better to try in the auto feeder, freeze dried mysis, cyclopeeze or flake?

jaa1456
04/12/2013, 06:58 PM
I had a trio for three years and they never ate pellets. Only frozen foods.

nikon187
04/12/2013, 07:04 PM
the only pellets mine ever ate were NLS medium formula ( 2mm) but only would eat frozen for the longest time. ( Like 2 years )

reef80
04/12/2013, 07:06 PM
Mine disbar will eat the pellet but spit it back out...really annoying but they eat flakes and frozen though...

MrTuskfish
04/12/2013, 07:38 PM
Most anthias I've have/ had will eat Cyclope-eeze. If they don't eat it first, let them go hungry for a few days and they'll give in. I know most anthias need to be fed often; but going a few days without eating won't hurt any fish. I think a lot of us give in way too soon when introducing new foods.

Squidmotron
04/12/2013, 07:53 PM
Mine eat frozen meat and vegetables.

I'm a huge pushover.

kupadupapupa
04/12/2013, 11:24 PM
Mine disbar will eat the pellet but spit it back out...really annoying but they eat flakes and frozen though...

That's exactly what mine do, I have the spectrum 1mm pellets. They sometimes even spit mysis out. I've seen them pack so much into their mouths that they can't eat it all and spit out like 5 mysis.

Most anthias I've have/ had will eat Cyclope-eeze. If they don't eat it first, let them go hungry for a few days and they'll give in. I know most anthias need to be fed often; but going a few days without eating won't hurt any fish. I think a lot of us give in way too soon when introducing new foods.

I just ordered the 15g container of cyclopeeze so we'll see how that goes. Hopefully they'll take to something dry because I'll be going on vacation and don't want to starve them for a week.

Dmorty217
04/13/2013, 09:19 AM
Well if they don't take to it just feed a little often two days before you leave, they will be hungry when you return, sure they will eat whatever you feed them

SDguy
04/13/2013, 09:21 AM
Most anthias take some time to start eating pellets. Some never do.

MrTuskfish
04/13/2013, 11:15 AM
That's exactly what mine do, I have the spectrum 1mm pellets. They sometimes even spit mysis out. I've seen them pack so much into their mouths that they can't eat it all and spit out like 5 mysis.

I just ordered the 15g container of cyclopeeze so we'll see how that goes. Hopefully they'll take to something dry because I'll be going on vacation and don't want to starve them for a week.

I think you're right, not using a "fish-sitter" friend. They always bring the kiddies to watch the fishies eat; "give them some more Daddy!"...."Whoops, there's a fishie on the floor Daddy".

Any fish can handle a week with no problem. I've left 1000 gals of heavily stocked fish for a week on many, many occassions. They do on their trip from the reef to your tank. Having an ATO or other method, to keep water levels could be a problem, though. Depending on the system. Also, do a quick body count of the fish, a dead fish could be a big problem, depending on the system again.

kupadupapupa
04/13/2013, 12:18 PM
I think you're right, not using a "fish-sitter" friend. They always bring the kiddies to watch the fishies eat; "give them some more Daddy!"...."Whoops, there's a fishie on the floor Daddy".

Any fish can handle a week with no problem. I've left 1000 gals of heavily stocked fish for a week on many, many occassions. They do on their trip from the reef to your tank. Having an ATO or other method, to keep water levels could be a problem, though. Depending on the system. Also, do a quick body count of the fish, a dead fish could be a big problem, depending on the system again.

The only person I trusted with feeding and maintenance of my reef was my mom but sadly I don't live close by anymore. She would even rinse all my food, lol. I taught her and she watched me over the years and could pretty much trouble shoot anything that went wrong.

As for the ato, right now my reservoir lasts me approx 2 weeks. It is winter though so I'm hoping it'll still last some pretty decent time in the summer.

Gary Majchrzak
04/13/2013, 12:26 PM
food MUST be moving in the water column

I set up auto feeder to dump food into main pump intake.
Food then gets dispersed into DT's water column.
Fish go nuts.

tip: use smallest pellet size available