PDA

View Full Version : "Eel-proofing" a large reef tank

OceanicThunder
04/12/2013, 11:26 PM
I have heard of people keeping certain species of eel like Snowflake and Zebra eels in tanks with corals and certain invertebrates as long as none of 'em are crustaceans. Lately I've had thoughts of a 240 or so gallon reef tank with a Zebra eel, Volitan lionfish, and then several large tangs, foxface, etc., other big reef-safe fish like that. One of the problems, I've read, is keeping rockwork and corals secure in a tank with an eel (particularly a larger one, like a mature Zebra), though clearly it isn't impossible, just takes some extra precautions. I've heard of gluing the rockwork together and gluing corals to the rocks, but I'm not sure how easy that would be or how to really go about doing it. That would also be a lot of work in such a large tank. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on securing rocks this way? What type of glue do you recommend? Also, what other precautions would need to be taken?

This is all just out of curiosity, as I don't have the finances to set up such a tank now, but I just think it would make for a very interesting setup as it's not common to see a reef tank with predator fish like this and no smaller fish or crustaceans. Also, what large Angels do you think would work well in a tank life this? I know some of them can work in reef tanks with caution, while others are pretty much out of the picture, but I don't really know which species fall into which category.

Thanks!

jr_83
04/13/2013, 07:07 AM
I've seen rocks successfully and impressively zip-tied together in whatever shape/design. I haven't heard of anyone glueing rocks together. I guess if it were dry and non toxic it sounds possible. As far as glueing the corals that just doesn't sound possible, no clue.

hkarmy25
04/13/2013, 11:26 AM
http://compare.ebay.com/like/111025094017?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Another thing ive heard people doing is drilling holes in rock and using pvc to secure them. Would be interesting to try....

rssjsb
04/13/2013, 02:08 PM
All my tanks have rocks that have been drilled and stacked on 3/4" acrylic dowels that are attached to a square base of acrylic. Put the base down and put sand over it. Then stack your rocks on. They won't move an inch. It takes a bit of planning, but it's better than having your whole stack glued together, which would make it nearly impossible to dismantle or rearrange your rocks later.

ovakil
04/26/2013, 01:34 AM
Been thinking about getting a zebra eel myself.My tank (8x3x3) doesn't have any lids but has the canopy that sits on the tank.The height of it is 12".
Can an eel get over that ?
Cheers Steve.

wlyon
04/26/2013, 02:44 AM
I have a 2 foot zebra in my 250 and he very rarely knocks rocks over, however I did spend a lot of time wedging the rocks together very tightly when I set up the tank. I've never had frags in the tank since I have a frag tank but my larger corals have never been knocked over by him, the grouper is normally the culprit.

CenterConsole
04/26/2013, 07:21 AM
My large +3ft Brazilian dragon will throw a 20lb rock like its nothing. I have to build structures out of egg crate, drill rock and zip tie it all to the egg crate and foam in the gaps to make huge large heavy pillars/forms of rock.