PDA

View Full Version : Quaranting new fish.

Mitch 77
04/13/2013, 12:06 PM
Does every have a quarantine tank.

jennysreef79
04/13/2013, 12:24 PM
I never quarantined but only cause my LFS did that for you already. So far have not had any issues. But if you have the time and space for a QT then i say go for it

bnumair
04/13/2013, 08:13 PM
i would not run a tank without a QT.
here is a link for some info.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2195588

Raerianna
04/14/2013, 09:59 PM
For the price of marine species...yeah, qt all the way.

billsreef
04/15/2013, 07:20 PM
QT is well worthwhile. After all, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure ;)

sreefs
04/15/2013, 07:31 PM
Qt everything wet before going into my reef. Well said Bill.

woodnaquanut
04/16/2013, 10:11 AM
I agree with the QT everything. Now a question or two. :)

Fish QT I understand.

What's a good coral QT procedure. I would assume it is different for different corals. LPS, SPS, zoas, etc. Is that true? What do you do?

How about inverts? Shrimp, snails, etc.

jimmyj7090
04/16/2013, 10:36 AM
Even if your LFS has some QT procedure don't assume the fish are clean. Unless every fish gets a full preventitive treatment for all parisites there is always a chance something will slip through.

Also, even if the fish you bring home are clean, in a lot of cases some QT time will give the fish a better chance of settling in and recovering from the stress of capture, import exct...

bnumair
04/16/2013, 10:39 AM

Fish QT I understand.

What's a good coral QT procedure. I would assume it is different for different corals. LPS, SPS, zoas, etc. Is that true? What do you do?

here is a link to QT'ing corals.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2157531&highlight=acclimation+of+new+corals

Reefnation.Jon
04/16/2013, 10:42 AM
QT everything. If you dont now you will after you loose your entire tank. And it will happen if you dont QT.

I do tank transfer with everything in 5 gallon buckets as soon as I get it. then medicate accordingly.

accordsirh22
04/21/2013, 12:29 PM

Fish QT I understand.

ich and other nasties can come in on corals/

prime example: i got a few frags from a buddy who "lives with ich" i didnt think even once about it being on the corals. i got home and dropped the frags in my nano because i was too tired to fool with the main tank. next day pulled em out added them to my main tank. several days go by and i notice that the fish in my nano (clown gobies) have white lumps.

w..t..f.. im thinking, i havent added any fish since i got the 3 of them at the same time over 2 months ago. and they never had 1 white spot. then it clicked, the ich came in on the corals from my buddies tank. luckily i dodged the bullet and no one in my display got it. but lesson learned. once my new tank is up, my old 40 will be my quarantine tank. instead of the very small one i have now