PDA

View Full Version : Red sea PO4 test kit or hanna checker

Zedar
04/14/2013, 09:24 AM
I have read the forums about this kit not reading below .08 ppm. I too have the problem. I am reading .08 ppm on RO/DI water. This is a brand new RO/DI filter. I'm reading 0 TDS on the inline meter.
I had some heavy grean algae growth on the tank glass a week ago, so I ran the test and found it at .08. I started up a GFO reactor and havent had any algea on the glass since.
Ive noticed an improvement in the SPS corals since i started up the GFO reactor so i assumed the PO4 test kit was going to show a change. Unfortunatly it still reads .08 ppm.

Since i havent cleaned the glass in a week and its still algae free, I have to assume that my PO4 is pretty low. But it seems there is no way of knowing for sure.
So my question is. Would the hanna checker be any more reliable ? Or should i use the rate of algae growth on the glass as a way of determining my PO4 levels?

daido
04/14/2013, 09:30 AM
doesn't really matter.. depands on your budget. Both are good and reliable.

bnumair
04/14/2013, 09:38 AM
hanna makes a checker for ULTRA LOW RANGE PHOSPHORUS. u need to convert the readings but its probably the most accurate in low range u can get.

downbeach
04/14/2013, 11:25 AM
I usually know when it's time to check the PO4, by indicator's I see in my tank, i.e. film algae on glass, etc. So, if I see those indicator's, I use a Hanna meter to test. So, yes to both.

Zedar
04/14/2013, 11:33 AM
doesn't really matter.. depands on your budget. Both are good and reliable.

I would "respectfully" have to disagree. I dont think my RO/DI water has any PO4. Hence a .08ppm for my tank reading is not accurate.
So my question is, since the red sea IS NOT ACCURATE how could I be sure the hanna checker is? I wanted some peoples experince with it.

daido
04/14/2013, 11:40 AM
I would "respectfully" have to disagree. I had great experience with both of them. Maybe your ro system is damaged, maybe your test kit is damaged. I know for a fact that the red sea test kit IS ACCURATE

Zedar
04/14/2013, 11:41 AM
I usually know when it's time to check the PO4, by indicator's I see in my tank, i.e. film algae on glass, etc. So, if I see those indicator's, I use a Hanna meter to test. So, yes to both.

Seems like my thinking is being corroborated by your experience also. Thanks.
It seems that a PO4 test kit is really just a visual assurance. Probably a waste of money.

Zedar
04/14/2013, 11:47 AM
I would "respectfully" have to disagree. I had great experience with both of them. Maybe your ro system is damaged, maybe your test kit is damaged. I know for a fact that the red sea test kit IS ACCURATE

The reason i bring this up. I did a search on RC and found other people having this same problem. Yes my kit is defective. Thats the point. I paid good money for the kit, and expect it to be reliable. But its not. The next time you go to buy the kit you may also buy a defective one. That is the definition of unreliable.

Zedar
04/14/2013, 11:52 AM
My point wasnt to bash the red sea kit as much as question the accuracy and reliablity of the hanna checker

daido
04/14/2013, 11:54 AM
The fact the you happend to buy a defective one doesn't the product is unrealiable. I have owned hundreds of phosphate test kits and I can say that these two are those that I have been the most happy with.

RLSS
04/14/2013, 12:05 PM
Just contact Red Sea or return it to the store in which you purchased it. Also, there are instances where people constantly use a product incorrectly, not suggesting that's the case here but something as simple as a miscalculation with reagent can lead to a flawed result. Contamination from tap water is also common. Either way, contact the manufacturer or store you purchased from.

It's not like every car that has had a recall isn't still considered reliable. Frustrating at times sure... But that's reefing :)

downbeach
04/14/2013, 12:18 PM
I have had the same problem with the Red Sea PO4 tests, as have many others on this and other sites. I tried another kit, and a new refill, with the same problem. This is the main reason I went with the Hanna checker.

Here is a thread from Red Sea's forum:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2278664

daido
04/14/2013, 12:25 PM
Everyone has his own experiences. I don't work for red sea so I can't share more than that.

Zedar
04/14/2013, 05:46 PM
I have had the same problem with the Red Sea PO4 tests, as have many others on this and other sites. I tried another kit, and a new refill, with the same problem. This is the main reason I went with the Hanna checker.

Here is a thread from Red Sea's forum:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2278664

Thanks

Zedar
04/14/2013, 05:56 PM
Ok I tried 0.5ml of reagent A from a syringe still get .08. Frustrating. Thanks for the help.

David Grigor
04/14/2013, 06:23 PM
I'm not aware of any titration style test to be accurate enough for really trying to track phosphate levels. Even the Hanna phosphate is only accurate to .04ppm which too is pretty useless when your trying to track levels in the .02 range. Hanna HI736 model is the way only way to go if you want to seriously track it. Like others have said, if you not having algae issues that problably good enough. If you are having issues rest assured phosphate or nitrate levels are high. If they aren't high thats only because getting consumed by the algae.

bertoni
04/14/2013, 09:36 PM
If I were worried, I'd probably get a Hach PO-19 phosphate kit. Actually, I did get one. :) You could choose to ignore the phosphate reading, for that matter, as long as your animals are okay.

Trevenator
04/14/2013, 10:34 PM
Ok I tried 0.5ml of reagent A from a syringe still get .08. Frustrating. Thanks for the help.

I have posted info in the red sea forum but have also ran the 0.5ml of regent test and it shows .08.

I have had 6 other people run tests on my tank- on fresh made saltwater- on 0 tds rodi water- and on natural sea water. I did not tell them the result I came up with or the results the others came up will and all 6 people tests showed .08.

This is with the red sea test I 1st bought and with the replacement reagnt they sent.

I ordered the Hanna HI 736-25 Phosphorus checker a few days ago.

Zedar
04/15/2013, 05:50 AM
I have posted info in the red sea forum but have also ran the 0.5ml of regent test and it shows .08.

I have had 6 other people run tests on my tank- on fresh made saltwater- on 0 tds rodi water- and on natural sea water. I did not tell them the result I came up with or the results the others came up will and all 6 people tests showed .08.

This is with the red sea test I 1st bought and with the replacement reagnt they sent.

I ordered the Hanna HI 736-25 Phosphorus checker a few days ago.

At first I thought I may be missing something. But after methodically running multiple tests with the same .08 results, I came to RC and did a search only to find that I wasn’t crazy. Well I am crazy (we all are for being in this hobby :headwally:) just not crazy with my findings :)

Bertoni, thanks for the info on the hach kit. The price is high, but if it works I'm willing to pay for it.

David, I believe the Hanna HI736 is accurate to .031ppm?

kissman
04/15/2013, 05:52 AM
I love my Hanna ULR 736

jerpa
04/15/2013, 06:12 AM
The Hanna 736 has an accuracy of plus or minus 5 ppb, so it's margin for error is .03ppm. The resolution is .003ppm.

There have been reports of inconsistencies with the checker as well. I have had consistent and seemingly logical results with mine. Every once in awhile I get an abnormally high reading, but a small piece of food in the test sample can spike it so I usually retested.

Bilk
04/15/2013, 07:07 AM
I have read the forums about this kit not reading below .08 ppm. I too have the problem. I am reading .08 ppm on RO/DI water. This is a brand new RO/DI filter. I'm reading 0 TDS on the inline meter.
I had some heavy grean algae growth on the tank glass a week ago, so I ran the test and found it at .08. I started up a GFO reactor and havent had any algea on the glass since.
Ive noticed an improvement in the SPS corals since i started up the GFO reactor so i assumed the PO4 test kit was going to show a change. Unfortunatly it still reads .08 ppm.

Since i havent cleaned the glass in a week and its still algae free, I have to assume that my PO4 is pretty low. But it seems there is no way of knowing for sure.
So my question is. Would the hanna checker be any more reliable ? Or should i use the rate of algae growth on the glass as a way of determining my PO4 levels?
I use both. The Hanna always reads higher than the RSP kit. I think the Hanna has more issues with accuracy and more variables that can effect a reading. The Hanna test say fill with 10ml. I've measured out 10ml and used the mark on the vial for tests. The mark is not 10ml as measured with a lab grade graduated cylinder. That packet is a PITA too. Getting all of the regent out is problematic and if your fingers touch in inside of the packet, residue from your fingers can effect the reading I would think.

I use both as a way to determine a trend. I think getting a true number is elusive.

Zedar
04/15/2013, 07:45 AM
I use both. The Hanna always reads higher than the RSP kit. I think the Hanna has more issues with accuracy and more variables that can effect a reading. The Hanna test say fill with 10ml. I've measured out 10ml and used the mark on the vial for tests. The mark is not 10ml as measured with a lab grade graduated cylinder. That packet is a PITA too. Getting all of the regent out is problematic and if your fingers touch in inside of the packet, residue from your fingers can effect the reading I would think.

I use both as a way to determine a trend. I think getting a true number is elusive.

Thanks for your insight. I think Bertoni said it best. " You could choose to ignore the phosphate reading, for that matter, as long as your animals are okay. "

Use your skills of observation. That seems to be the best advice.

kissman
04/15/2013, 07:54 AM
I find my 736 always reads the same as my Red Sea Pro kit does. The packet is very easy to use if you cut two sides and create a funnel to pour in the vial. The 10ml is off and I use a syringe to measure my 10ml. Most vials from any company I have seen have been off. All test kits have a +/- accuracy. I have had a few times I did get an abnormal reading. But, I found the same with other kits as well. I find the digital is a lot easier to read than trying to match up colors.

Trevenator
04/15/2013, 12:02 PM
I was just looking on bulk reef supply for a refill for my Magnesium kit and noticed that they have 4 people that reviewed the Red Sea Phosphate kit also get the .08 readings that we have been getting.

Zedar
04/15/2013, 12:19 PM
Yeah it looks like its not just a few isolated incidences. I'm heading over my nephews tonight to compare my kit with his. I'll see if his is accurate.

bertoni
04/15/2013, 10:28 PM
One instance of the Hach test kit was checked against some fancy lab equipment. It worked "well enough for our purposes". Any brand or type of kit can have some problems over time, but the Hach PO-19 seems to have passed some tests very well. Unfortunately, you might be the "lucky" one and get a bad copy.

If the kit is hard on your budget, I think that ignoring phosphate readings is a fine choice if you animals are all doing well. :)

skuller
04/16/2013, 07:09 AM
Sorry guys, but this is a normal issue for the Red Sea Pro PO4 test, I had it and below 0.08 it always measured 0.04, even testing RODI water.

It seems the test can't read below 0.08 values.

I contacted Red Sea, they only sent some samples to test, but never changed the test or returned the money. :mad2:

I will never use any other test than HANNA to test Phosphates, it is the most accurate test you can get.

Zedar
04/16/2013, 10:03 PM
One instance of the Hach test kit was checked against some fancy lab equipment. It worked "well enough for our purposes". Any brand or type of kit can have some problems over time, but the Hach PO-19 seems to have passed some tests very well. Unfortunately, you might be the "lucky" one and get a bad copy.

If the kit is hard on your budget, I think that ignoring phosphate readings is a fine choice if you animals are all doing well. :)

Thanks again. Ive been an RC member for many years and have always valued the advice of the people here in the chemistry forum.

bertoni
04/16/2013, 11:04 PM
You're welcome. Good luck! Most of us seem to need it with testing equipment.