PDA

View Full Version : Is a coris wrasse a good idea?

Jstn
04/14/2013, 10:22 AM
I have a worm problem, it seems I have a few oenone worms and they are eating my acans. I was able to extract a few larger specimens, but I still have a few baby worms. I was reading that the sixline and the coris yellow wrasse eat worms (bristles, flatworms ect). I have a pair of clowns, a pair of mandarin, a chalk bass and a flasher wrasse. For obvious reasons I am hesitant to add a sixline (flasher), but I read good things about the coris wrasse. I have a 40b with 20gal sump in a mature tank, would this species be ok, I notice its not listed as reef safe, I have feather dusters and couldn't care less if he eat them all.

TIA

Ambition
04/14/2013, 03:13 PM
A 40B is smaller than I'd suggest for a yellow coris. From my observations, Halichoeres wrasses use up any and all available tank space as they swim around looking at the rocks for food. It will also eat the pods your mandarin needs to survive.

ingtar_shinowa
04/14/2013, 05:05 PM
Not a popular option but you could 'rent' a Halichoeres chrysus. Get a smaller one, i doubt aggression will be much of a problem, then return him for credit. Ask your LFS is thats an option. I tihnk you are right a six line will end up killing your flasher, but some people have good luck with them.

small alien
04/14/2013, 07:20 PM
A 40B is smaller than I'd suggest for a yellow coris. From my observations, Halichoeres wrasses use up any and all available tank space as they swim around looking at the rocks for food. It will also eat the pods your mandarin needs to survive.

Agree.

evolved
04/15/2013, 09:56 AM
Agree here, and to add:

I have a worm problem, it seems I have a few oenone worms and they are eating my acans. I was able to extract a few larger specimens, but I still have a few baby worms. I was reading that the sixline and the coris yellow wrasse eat worms (bristles, flatworms ect). I have a pair of clowns, a pair of mandarin, a chalk bass and a flasher wrasse. For obvious reasons I am hesitant to add a sixline (flasher), but I read good things about the coris wrasse. I have a 40b with 20gal sump in a mature tank, would this species be ok, I notice its not listed as reef safe, I have feather dusters and couldn't care less if he eat them all.

TIA
Do NOT add a sixline. It will bully your existing Paracheilinus (flasher) wrasse. Also note, a sixline is NOT a flasher, but rather of the Pseudocheilinus genus.

Neither of those fish choices, or any choice for that matter, is guaranteed to help, let alone cure, your pest problem. They might help, but it would be a crap shoot.

Jstn
04/15/2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the responses, i agree the sixline would be the worst choice, my mandarins are pellet trained so I am not worried about the copepods. I may try a smaller coris, my lfs has a 1.5" healthy looking fish. I will purchase him for a while, a month or two and then sell or trade him in on another paracheilinus.

I have tried to remove all the larger worms, now I just want to finish off hte babies.

Moort82
04/15/2013, 04:11 PM
I've always kept a halichoeres wrasse to control unwanted pests but more so because i like them. However completely agree with not suggesting one in this case. I've never tried it or heard one suggested for this type of problem but you could maybe look at a wetmorella sp. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has any thoughts?

Reeferz412
04/15/2013, 04:36 PM
I have a yellow coriss in my 46 and it has been with me for 3+ years. He eats tiny snails (zig zag periwinkles or anything smaller) and I do have pods all over my tank still. He will eat any prepared foods along with flakes and dried jumbo krill. Not aggressive at all and very hardy. I hear they do ok with other wrasses but dont quote me on that.

Moort82
04/16/2013, 03:36 PM
Not aggressive at all and very hardy. I hear they do ok with other wrasses but dont quote me on that.

Most halicoeres wrasse fit that. They are very active swimmers though so you need appropriate space.

Jstn
04/16/2013, 04:53 PM
Well I got him, he is doing well, eating and swimming so we will see...

Moort82
04/17/2013, 02:55 AM
Don't be surprised if it dissappears on you for a while. They sleep in the sand and sometimes new additions go awol for a few days. You have a peaceful setup so hopefully you won't get anything to worry about.