PDA

View Full Version : marineland heaters

sasharotty
04/14/2013, 01:47 PM
Are these ok to buy now? Im in a pinch and its all my lfs carries. I know they were recalled recently but ok to buy now?

Michigan Mike
04/14/2013, 03:00 PM
Stealth pro heaters are no bueno.

The other kinds should be okay.

gtafragger
04/14/2013, 05:27 PM
I have not had success with marineland in general. Maybe look for a bit better one online

Michigan Mike
04/14/2013, 06:09 PM
They aren't better or worse than most heaters IMO, they are usually 2*F lower than what they say, maybe more depending on tank setup.

2 smaller heaters is better than 1 oversized heater, redundancy is key here.

nynick
04/14/2013, 08:25 PM
It all depends on how finicky you are gonna be about pointless little terms such as "submersible". :)

Michigan Mike
04/14/2013, 08:30 PM
I was in a pinch and got a top fin heater, its more unreliable because its glass.
fluval titaniums are okay, jäger is one of the best and my aqueon is still cruising along and is my highest wattage heater.

sasharotty
04/15/2013, 04:16 PM
They sold cobalt too. That's what I picked up. Couldn't get all the horror stories out of my head. I've ordered another eheim but that's what it's replacing is an eheim. Noticed my tank temp low every morning but never really paid much attention. I added a 60 gallon grow out tank and woke up to a 75* tank. Checked both and found 1 with the light on but not emitting any heat at all.

r-balljunkie
04/16/2013, 03:09 AM
aqueon pro is a good one....just mail order one, have it in a few days.

nynick
04/16/2013, 08:19 AM
Jaeger! I have been in the aquarium hobby for 30+ years and have never had a Jaeger die on me. They are also just a few bucks more than your regular garbage ones.

Warning, incoming semi related rant! :)

There are all these high tech items creeping into the hobby and for some areas it is great. For a heater, the less things that can break the better off you are. Tried and tested thermostat/element and a durable casing. Clownfish does not care if you can control it via your Iphone and once an item can keep a tank at your preferred temperature for 10 years+ there is no meaningful way to improve it.

Reeferz412
04/16/2013, 01:14 PM
Stealth pro heaters are no bueno.

The other kinds should be okay.

I got three of these in a tank I bought recently. I called marineland and whatever company that they are connected to (cant remember which one it is) and they sent me three of their new heaters free of charge and free shipping.

Michigan Mike
04/16/2013, 03:47 PM
If you have a old stealth heater you can return it for a new heater because of a recall on them over a year ago, I took a couple I bought bak to Petmart for a couple fluval heaters & got another m.l. Heater from a free tank & returned it as well (no receipt needed).

Although I never had an issue with them, they seemed to be a couple degrees lower than the heaters temp, that's it though.