PDA

View Full Version : What's this? + Duncan coral question...

eacosta
04/14/2013, 10:04 PM
The other day I noticed some semi-transparent tube-like stuff growing in my tank. Kinda remindes me of tiny tree branches w/o leaves. Some seem like hollow tubes. Can you please let me know what it is? I tried to take a picture (with red circle), but it is a little hard to see. My tank is about 3 months old and it might be related to a large diatom bloom that I'm just getting through.

I also just bought a duncan coral and upon inspection at home I saw some damage to it that it might be recovering from. The damage can be seen in the picture where the polyps are closed. It otherwise looks healthy and a new polyp is growing from the damaged branch. The other branch has 4 heads. All heads responded to feeding today. Could that be a result of fragging, or some parasite? I didn't dip the coral and I swear a saw a very tiny red worm crawl on it after it was in my tank. Now I'm paraniod and wondering if I should buy some dip and treat it.

thanks!

alexander_ktn
04/15/2013, 05:48 AM
I can't really make out anything on the first picture, but from your description I'd guess it's a sea squirt or a sponge.

As for the Duncanopsammia: It looks like it did not get enough light or food at its previous home - I would feed it the occasional Mysis or Artemia so it recovers faster. The "damage" does not look fresh, so I'd rule out a predator.

leveldrummer
04/15/2013, 06:22 AM
google "aptaisia" and see if that looks like what your asking about.

eacosta
04/15/2013, 06:23 AM
Thanks. I will charge up the old camera and take better pictures this evening. Rely too much on crappy cell phone cameras these days!