PDA

View Full Version : Clowdy water

chromatel
04/15/2013, 02:24 PM
Help!
I have a problem i have a 75 gallon filled with rodi water salt a heater and 1 powerhead i do not have any filtration yet no lighting only glass rodi salt heater and powerhead my lfs told me i can wait to put in a filter i plan on putting live rock this week but my water is clowdy why is that im using io salt and rodi water
is this normal

Cymonous
04/15/2013, 02:29 PM
Did you mix your salt and water first before adding to the tank? Do you have sand in the tank too?

chromatel
04/15/2013, 02:31 PM
I literaly mean it when i said just glass heater powerhead and rodi with salt
I mixed the salt with the rodi in the tank i have no sand its just glass the powerhead is a koralia 750 and the heater is a jager 200watt the water is at 0 ppm and the salt is io

Cymonous
04/15/2013, 02:55 PM
0ppm of what?

Was your water clear before or after you added the salt?

chromatel
04/15/2013, 02:58 PM
sorry 0 tds before salt once i added salt it got clowdy it was clear before why is it still clowdy after 4days of adding salt

Dozer1one
04/15/2013, 03:04 PM
You need to let the power head run for quite a while to allow the salt to mix,you can assist in this by stiring the water up manually with something like a length of pvc pipe or something every so often. In the future get a container thats clean to pre mix the salt water in and allow it to mix for 24 hrs whith a powerhead . Most people here including myself use new 32 gallon trash cans. Also what size tank is it?

Dozer1one
04/15/2013, 03:05 PM
Wait, wait, 4 days of adding salt or 4 days after adding salt?

risin
04/15/2013, 03:09 PM
Are you able to check your salinity? it sounds like you make have too high a saturation of salt and it cannot all dissolve. you know to top off with fresh ro/di, not saltwater, right? Salt does not evaporate.

r1racer
04/15/2013, 03:10 PM
Get a hob filter or sock with carbon and run for a day or two if it doesn't go away...I mixed salt in my 125 and the cloudiness did not go away (added the salt too fast).

chromatel
04/15/2013, 04:08 PM
Here is waht i did i mixed my salt with fresh rodi water in the tank ( i would have used my rubermaid but its a new aquarium so i fugred what the hell) its a 75gallon the salt to water ratio is perfect my sg is spot on i added the salt 4 days ago but its clowdy still

r1racer
04/15/2013, 07:10 PM
carbon

Dozer1one
04/15/2013, 07:18 PM
Ok.... since you dont have any other source of water movement eg, filter,skimmer,addional power heads.it will likely take much longer than usual to mix that amount of salt water. I mix 32 gals for 24 hrs with a mag 7 pump and its usually fine but sometimes theres a little amount of undissolved salt/calcium. You should take this time and purchase a filter. Do you know what kind of filter you are going to purchase ? And as A1 mentioned run carbon.....In you new filter :beer:

MinnFish
04/15/2013, 11:18 PM
the salt to water ratio is perfect my sg is spot on

How are u checking? Define "spot on". In relationship to ppt or sg. Be aware you are going to have another cloudy period after adding your sand.

chromatel
04/16/2013, 06:12 AM
it had been mixing for 4 days andi will not be adding sand i will have a bare bottom and the filter i will be using is a sump 30 gal with a skimmer i dont have money to build the sump atm so what can i do about the clowdy water its been clowdy for 4 days should i run a cheap aquaclear with carbon until i build my sump or what should i wait to put in my rock until i can add a filter

Grit
04/16/2013, 11:40 AM
I had a similar problem with Reef Crystals a few years ago when starting a 600 gallon system. I put all the salt in the sump at one time. It never dissolved correctly and stayed milky. I tried for over 2 weeks and nothing worked. After I gave up and drained the water there was a chalky film on everything. Some component in the salt mix fell out of solution and would not re-dissolve. I have used the same procedure with Tropic Marin many times without a problem. Maybe the same thing happened to you.

Remove a small volume of water from the tank and put in a jar with a lid. Shake it as much as you can and see if the particles dissolve. My bet is they won’t and you should consider starting over. You could probably filter the stuff out but then some component of the salt mix may be lacking. Your salinity could still be testing fine.

Salt is cheap so consider a fresh batch and give your new aquarium the best possible start.

FTDelta
04/16/2013, 11:56 AM
Why not mix salt in a 55 gallon container mixed with RO/DI water instead of in your tank?

North
04/16/2013, 12:13 PM
I just started a 90 myself and mixed the first batch of water in the tank as you did. However, I've read that adding too much salt at once can cause precipitates. So, I started with rodi water and added 8-10 cups of salt to the tank at a time. Every 12 hours I added another 8-10 cups until I reached my salinity goal. Water was crystal clear entire time.

WillM
04/16/2013, 12:19 PM
If you added the salt first then added the water it will cause cloudiness. For instance, when I am mixing 20G of water for my water changes I put 20G of water into my Rubbermade bucket and then measure out the amount of salt I need and add that to the water with a powerhead going. In 4-8 hours it is usually clear. If put the salt in the tank and then added the water to the salt, it could have caused problems. Or you could have a bacterial bloom going on. I left a bucket of SW for several days and it wasn't the cleanest bucket (used for water changes) and it got super cloudy and I had to pitch it.

Dozer1one
04/16/2013, 03:12 PM
Has it gotten any better yet