PDA

View Full Version : Best brand of bio pellets?

thebanker
04/16/2013, 12:53 PM
I started my biopellet driven filtration about 2.5 years ago, I can't be happier with the results. And now it's time to refill my reactor again, and buy another new bag of pellets. I've tried Vertex (good) and Two Little Fishies (better IMO) and I am wondering if there has been a brand that has emerged as the best.

I prefer the TLF pellets because of their smooth egg shape; they seem to fluidize a bit easier than the cylindrical ones you normally see.

What does everyone prefer?

scuzy
04/16/2013, 01:01 PM
i am currently using the vertex mix with the brs ones and i can't tell if my pellets are working or not. It's been 4 weeks and i don't see any bacterial bloom and my nitrates sure isn't getting a dent. I have a back of the two little fishies should i give them a go?

Dre59
04/16/2013, 01:24 PM
Have you looked into Dr Tims pearls bio pellets?

daido
04/16/2013, 01:29 PM
The brs ones and dr. Tims are both manufacturered in the same factory and they are both PHA.

thebanker
04/16/2013, 01:44 PM
i am currently using the vertex mix with the brs ones and i can't tell if my pellets are working or not. It's been 4 weeks and i don't see any bacterial bloom and my nitrates sure isn't getting a dent. I have a back of the two little fishies should i give them a go?

4 weeks is just barely enough time to start a culture. It took mine a good 6-8 weeks to really start cranking.

I haven't seen the Dr. Tims pearls, interesting though. I thought most were PHA except for the Instant Ocean suspension.

Buganddoug
04/16/2013, 08:09 PM
I will say Warner Marine EGObak pellets are the best out there. I have been using them before they came to the market.

thebanker
04/16/2013, 08:34 PM
Really? If I recall, those had a lot of complaints.

Buganddoug
04/16/2013, 08:59 PM
Not that I know of.

bertoni
04/16/2013, 11:00 PM
It's not clear how much difference there is among all the brands of pellets. Personally, I'd try the cheapest one (by weight) first, and work from there.

azjohnny
04/17/2013, 12:55 AM
I have used 2 brands, BRS and Ecobak and haven't noticed a difference. IMO it's all made from the same material

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk