PDA

View Full Version : getting back into the hobby

zachhll
04/16/2013, 03:18 PM
so before i got out i had a nice 72 gallon bow front but i moved and couldn't bring it with me i bought a 14 gallon bio cube because it was the biggest the landlord would let me have i moved out soon as my lease was up my new place said the biggest was a 30 so i bought a 40 gallon breeder :dance: they wont know so im trying to do it right this time iv got everything to drill the tank and set up a sump i also bought a aqueon proflex 2 biggest affordable prebuilt sump i could fit i bought a aqueon AQ4500 pump for it im a hydor inline heater as well thats about all i have bought last time i got lucky and just used all live rock and live sand and never tested anything i know i was lucky i didnt have any problems im currently in the setup phase but what im thinking is order some live sand but all dry pukani rock it looks really awesome i guess im just looking for recommendations like what are some of the stuff i need to test for when cycling also im looking at getting a couple 36in lights from buildmyled.com anyone use them i want to get a apex down the road and they will work with them and price is better then any other led lights thanks everyone and sorry for grammer im no english pro

Dozer1one
04/16/2013, 04:13 PM
Did you ever think about a bare bottom tank rather than using substrate. Go get a good test kit such as red sea and test the basics during the cycle ammonia,nitrite,nitrate. This will allow you to know where you are in the cycle and how things are progressing. Dont start chasing your Ph around with tests and buffers but instead get a good salt and mix it correctly as per the directions and within a few weeks your Ph will stabalize.As far as the lights, look into reef breeders LEDs my freind just got them for his 90 gal good price and can be controlled by an Apex. Good luck

Chaotic Reefer4u
04/16/2013, 05:31 PM
Zachhll,
[welcome]